4 Teas For When You’re Feeling Under The Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Ahhh, tea. The only aromatic beverage, in my opinion, that perfectly complements good books, rainy days and warm biscuits.

I’m certain that tea-drinkers around the world will gladly testify to the accuracy of the phrase: ‘a cuppa a day keeps the blues away.’

But for problems more specific than just ‘the blues,’  here’s how different types of teas might be able to help you out:

Insomnia:

Having trouble getting to sleep? Brew a pot of chamomile tea.

With its mild sedative effects and soothing herbal ingredients, chamomile has long been known for its relaxing effects on the nervous system. There’s a reason its been nicknamed the ‘nighttime tea.’

Drink up and drift into drowsiness.

Need to wake up?

Say hi to coffee’s older and milder cousin, the good old black breakfast tea. 

me to my cup: lets get this par-tea started

While admittedly not as potent as a caffeinated drink, a morning cup of black tea will give you enough of an energy booster to kick-start your day. It also helps that black tea contains a plethora of antioxidants and has been known to reduce risks of certain types of cancer. My kind of power drink.

Feeling stressed?

Pour yourself a cup of lavender tea. 

People have been using lavender-infused scents as a stress reliever for years- its even been known to soothe agitated babies to sleep! Lavender has been used extensively in aromatherapy treatments and products for its light floral scent and relaxing properties.

Plus it smells like fresh laundry (you know, to make up for the fact that you haven’t done yours in a week.) 

bring on the sereni-tea. Photo source: Healthline.com

If you’re feeling sick/nauseous:

Give ginger tea a try. Science says so. 

Numerous studies have shown the effectiveness of ginger in halting bouts of nausea. The way it works is that ginger helps increase the secretion of digestive juices that help neutralize stomach acid. It’s also said to help reduce inflammation and help you sweat out the toxins that take over your body when you’re sick.

Happy brewing!

Architecture History and Design Double Major and Environmental Geography Minor at the University of Toronto