3 Tips for Reading and Understanding Food Labels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Whenever we shop for food products or look up information on healthy eating, we are bombarded with nutrition facts: calorie counts, fat content, sodium levels…the list goes on. All of this can seem complicated and overwhelming, especially when you’re pressed for time. In this week’s Health and Wellness blog, I will give you some tips to help you better understand food labels and, in turn, make healthier choices when it comes to grocery shopping.

Sugar: It can be difficult these days to find foods that don’t have added sugar. From cereal to soft drinks to desserts, we are constantly tempted to satisfy our sweet tooth. According to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, we should aim to limit our daily sugar intake to 48 g or less (to put this into perspective, a can of pop typically contains 40 g of sugar). Sugar consumption is particularly important to monitor, as too much sugar can lead to diabetes and heart problems. 

Sodium: This is simply another word for salt. Our bodies need sodium in order to function properly. By consuming too much sodium, though, we risk developing high blood pressure. The Heart and Stroke Foundation recommends that we consume no more than 2300 mg of sodium per day. Keep this in mind especially when you’re eating out — restaurants often add extra salt to their dishes in order to enhance the flavour.  

Protein: Eating protein-rich foods such as fish, chicken, eggs, and nuts will help to satisfy your hunger. However, it should be noted that red meat can lead to heart disease; thus, it is best to have this in moderation. The recommended amount for building lean muscle is 1.5 to 2.2 grams of protein for every kilogram of bodyweight (eg. for a 120lbs woman, protein should be between 84g to 120g)

One final word: this is not to say that you should totally avoid sugar, sodium, etc. Remember that it is perfectly okay to treat yourself once in a while! At the end of the day, it is all about balance and maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle. 

Sources:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=ikIQLcMWJt…

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.5263133/k.696/Dietary…

startrightriverside.com

Lauren Pare is a fourth-year English specialist at the University of Toronto. When she is not reading Shakespeare or modern poetry for school, she enjoys writing, painting, yoga, and green tea.
Lisa Chen

U Toronto

Lisa Chen is currently a second year student majoring in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (it's a thing - I swear!) with a minor in English and a joint minor with Singapore National University in Asian Culture and Literature. When she is not editing articles for HerCampus and marveling at the amazing content her writers produce, Lisa is an executive on the Arts and Science Student's Union (ASSU) where she represents and advocates for the interests of over 24,000 students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Lisa hopes to study law after graduation, preferably somewhere warm like California because Canadian winters are ridiculous and she loves high-waisted shorts. If you see her around campus, don't be afraid to come say hi! Especially if you love Adventure Time and Harry Potter as much as she does.