Stress Eating Before Finals? My Go–To Healthy Snacks For Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you need your snacks. I’m the girl shoving a muffin in her mouth while running to her class or wondering if I can get away with eating a granola bar in lecture. I simply don’t function if I’m hungry. However, snacks quickly become a problem when I’m trying to study. This is because 1. I apparently have no self–control and will start eating all snacks in sight, and 2. eating becomes a method of procrastination. I’ll start working on an essay, realize I don’t know what to write, and then make myself a grilled cheese instead of finishing my assignment. I’m not hungry; I don’t need to eat. I’m simply stressed out and avoiding my problems by consuming melted cheese sandwiched between delicious buttery, crunchy bread. 

Now, I wont say I’ve completely overcome these tendencies, because that would be a lie. However, I’ve found snacks that are healthy and take very little time to prepare, making them ideal for study sessions. With finals season upon us, I thought it apt to share!

Popcorn (specifically the bougie kind!)

My wonderful roommate introduced me to Opopop popcorn this year, and my taste buds have been forever changed. This isn’t to say that I don’t still enjoy old–fashioned bags of microwave popcorn, but I guarantee the switch to Opopop will be worth it.  

Switching to this brand requires a little bit of an investment, since it uses a special silicone microwave popcorn bowl; however, once you have the bowl, you only have to buy popcorn kernels, and then you’re all set. You can buy plain kernels from the store, or you can order Opopop’s flavored kernels, which include salted umami, cinnalicious, chedapeño, and maui heat. They’re all so good, and you can have an entire bowl without feeling overfull or greasy. Plus, since a few kernels result in a high volume of popcorn, it can last your entire study session! 

Fresh Fruits and Vegetables

Pick your favorite vegetables or fruits, add a dipping sauce, and you’re ready to go. Some of my personal favorites include apples with peanut butter and carrots with hummus. Kind of basic choices, I know, but they’re popular for a reason! 

Berries are also a great study food, because they’re high in antioxidants and help boost brain health. Make yourself a parfait with some greek yogurt, berries, and granola—your brain will thank you!

Chips (but make them interesting!) 

There are so many different kinds of chips these days, but your typical potato chip doesn’t boast great nutritional value. A healthier alternative I particularly enjoy is  Bare Chips. This brand makes chips out of fruits and vegetables, and has a variety of different kinds to choose from. There are apple chips, coconut chips, carrot chips, and more! 

If you’re looking for something more similar to regular potato chips, you can always try their lightly salted sweet potato chips. I love all of these flavors, and they always satisfy my craving for something crunchy. 

Nuts, Cheese, and Dried Fruit (charcuterie boards!)

Charcuterie boards have been all the rage lately, and it’s super easy to make simple, mini boards for studying. I love doing this, because then I can graze all afternoon. I like adding cashews, almonds, cheddar cheese, dried cranberries, and apricots to mine. Sometimes, I’ll add crackers and salami if I want something a little more substantial.

I’m not a big chocolate person (I know, scandalous), but for those who are, dark chocolate is great for your brain, and it’s been shown to improve both mood and memory. Another food with similar brain benefits is pumpkin seeds, so next time you want to make a study snack, incorporate some of these foods into a charcuterie board!

With finals rapidly approaching, it’s important to remember to take care of yourself. Get enough sleep, take breaks, and fuel your body with good food so you can perform your best. Hopefully, some of these snacks will inspire you to start studying!

Anna Shumway

U Penn '24

Anna is a sophomore at UPenn studying philosphy, political science, and economics.