This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

With Thanksgiving only a few days away, I wanted to share some of my favorite fall recipes. Although the pandemic is making it difficult to enjoy a typical holiday gathering with family, I hope these treats can bring some happiness and cheer to your COVID-safe celebrations!

I’m a big believer in showing love through actions – so I really enjoy baking for my family and friends. All three of the recipes I’m sharing are pretty simple, so even if you’re not typically into baking, you’ll be able to contribute the perfect treat to your Thanksgiving celebration! To make things more convenient, I’m also listing the recipes from easiest to most technical.

Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles

One disclaimer before jumping into this recipe is that pumpkin spice actually has nothing to do with actual pumpkin flavoring – it’s just a mixture of the spices used in pumpkin pie. These spices include cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes allspice. The difference between classic cinnamon snickerdoodles and this recipe is that these cookies have a warmer and more complex flavor, since more spices are included. I think this makes them an even better choice for a fall cookie.

Ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter (softened)

1 cup white sugar

½ cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups flour

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

Coating:

3 tablespoons white sugar

3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

½ teaspoon cinnamon

In a large bowl, first cream the butter and both sugars with a mixer (After this, I mix the rest of the recipe by hand.) Add the eggs and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together. Add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients in increments. I do this in quarters, mixing well after each addition until everything is combined.

Let this dough sit in the refrigerator for one hour. After your dough has rested, preheat your oven to 375°F. Mix together the white sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a small bowl to make the spice coating. Roll your dough into balls, using about a tablespoon of dough for each. Place each ball into the coating and roll them around until they are generously covered. Finally, place them evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with at least two inches between cookies (they spread as they bake!). Bake for 8-10 minutes. I usually make the cookies in two separate batches.

Chai Vanilla Sugar Cookies

I actually adapted this recipe from Taylor Swift’s. However, instead of making cinnamon eggnog icing, I typically just make regular cinnamon icing. I also use less butter than the original recipe calls for, but these cookies still come out perfectly tender. They taste like a mixture between a butter and a sugar cookie, with the perfect hint of chai and vanilla. These have been a hit in my household for the past few months.

Ingredients:

¼ cup unsalted butter (softened)

½ cup vegetable oil

½ cup sugar

½ cup powdered sugar

1 large egg

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 chai tea packet (I use decaffeinated)

2 cups flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar

3 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon cinnamon (I love cinnamon so I use 1 ½ teaspoons)

In a large bowl, beat the butter, then mix in the vegetable oil. Once smooth, add in the sugar, powdered sugar, egg, vanilla, and chai tea packet. After these ingredients are fully combined, add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Let this dough sit in the fridge for an hour, or in the freezer for 15 minutes. I usually prefer the latter.

After your dough has rested in the fridge or freezer, preheat your oven to 350°F. Roll your dough into balls, with about a tablespoon of dough each. Place them evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with at least 2 ½  inches between cookies, as these spread quite a bit while baking. Bake for about 8-12 minutes. I tend to bake all the cookies in 2 ½ batches.

While the cookies are baking, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and cinnamon in a bowl to make the icing. Once your cookies cool completely, dip them into the icing face down, and let any excess drip off the sides on a cooling rack. Let the icing set before serving!

Pumpkin Pie

I couldn’t make a list of recipes to bring to Thanksgiving without including pumpkin pie. I really enjoy making pies, because the process can be more challenging than other desserts. I also like experimenting with flavors in the fillings. This recipe includes a pinch of black pepper, which may sound odd, but it adds a warm and robust note that sets it apart from other recipes! You can also either use a premade crust, or make your own for an extra challenge.

Ingredients:

15oz can of pumpkin puree

3 large eggs

1 ¼ cups brown sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

½ teaspoon salt

1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground ginger*

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg*

⅛ teaspoon ground cloves*

⅛ teaspoon black pepper

1 cup heavy cream

¼ cup milk

Note: If you don’t have all of these spices, or would rather not buy them all, you can use 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice as an alternative.

Crust (optional):

1 ¼ cups flour

¼ teaspoon salt

1 cup butter (cold, cubed)

3-4 tablespoons ice water

Note: If you have leftover dough, you can also use leaf cookie cutters to make decorations for the top of the pie.

If you choose to make your own crust, make the dough before starting the filling, as it should sit in the fridge for at least an hour before being used. While you may choose to opt-out of this step, making the crust can be one of the most fun parts of making a pie. It can feel daunting, but there are many resources that will help to make the process easier.

In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, eggs, and brown sugar until smooth. Next, add the cornstarch, salt, spices, cream, and milk and mix until combined. After making the filling, preheat your oven to 375°F.

If you made your own crust, roll out your dough on a floured surface and lay it into a pie dish. Blind bake the crust for 10 minutes.

Finally, pour the filling into your blind baked or premade crust, and bake it for 55-60 minutes. You may want to cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil after the first 25 minutes to avoid any burning. Let the pie set for three hours before serving. Enjoy!

Emily is currently a Senior at the University of Pennsylvania. She's majoring in Sociology and minoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies. She loves concerts and crystals, and spends most of her time listening to music or rewatching the same 5 movies she's loved since high school.