The Midterm & Meditation Mantra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Oh no. It’s about that time again. That time when everyone goes into his or her own hibernation until leaving for Winter Break. You know exactly what I’m talking about: it’s the time of midterms. Midterms are around the corner for many of us, and for others they already feel victorious or semi-murdered—wondering where MERT was on the day of their exam. We all hate to admit that we might become a bit less social or less dedicated to the gym during this period. This unfortunate trend seems to happen for some of us, while others don’t even bat an eyelash to the dreaded season.

So . . .  what’s their secret?

1. Plan: Divvy up your work the second you get the syllabus because a little each day is a lot better than cramming a couple of days before.
  2. Real Talk: Make sure to be practical with the assignments you give yourself. Only you know how much you can do in your “free” time.
  3. Study Buddies: Make study groups dedicated to getting work done (whether you know the concept or not, teaching someone else or being taught is always beneficial).
  4. Priorities: You come first. If today is not a good day for you or you are feeling overwhelmed, let your clubs/organizations know–without becoming a flake. Remember that you did make a commitment, but everyone deserves a “get out of jail free pass” once in a while.
  5. Gains: Get those endorphins moving! Make sure to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Not only will your body be thankful, but it is a great rejuvenator too!
  6. Food Diaries: NO eating at odd hours / late at night. Don’t call for that UberEats/Grubhub/Insomnia order at midnight . . . Just don’t do it.
  7. Sleep: SLEEP. SLEEP. SLEEP. It might seem counterproductive to “throw away” hours of the day, but sleep is essential to your well-being and mental processing!
  8. Reflection: Have some alone time because between your social life and academics you need time to meditate, unwind, and have a mental break.
  9. Break: Make sure you are not all work and no play. Everyone needs a break at some point.

We always say this semester will be different, but let’s make sure this semester is the start of a better semester for not only our grades but for us

Image Source: http://www.americancollegespain.com/pagina/341/are-you-studying-the-righ…