This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

As we’ve settled into life behind a camera, the novelty of Zoom has definitely worn off. In March, everyone feigned excitement at the transition. No one can see your bottom half! You can keep your camera off and stay in bed! Well, that may be true, but “dressing down” isn’t always so great. In fact, it could be taking a toll on your mental health and ambition. Constant comfort, especially for this long, may come at the cost of self-esteem.

I, personally, have always been someone who errs on the side of overdressed; I think wearing dresses for no reason is fun. I guess I never fully outgrew the dress-up phase. For that same reason, I never turned to pajamas when we made the transition to online learning. Dressing down just wouldn’t have been me, and doing so would have made me even sadder than when my spring break was extended indefinitely. To wear pajamas would have been to give in to my disappointment, but I understand why people have embraced the novelty of cozy attire. 

However, at some point this has to come to an end. Not because I want everyone to dress like they’re going to high tea, but because dressing like we’re still in-person gives us just a little piece of normalcy. 

Karl Lagerfeld, former head of the House of Chanel, once said, “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life, so you bought some sweatpants.” Now, that’s a little extreme. But let’s face it: you probably don’t wear sweatpants when you’re particularly happy. Comfy clothes are for those self-care days, or for when you’re sick or cleaning the house. It’s not an outfit you wear when you’re spending a night out with the girls, going to class on a regular basis, or posting that insta pic. We’re no longer in mourning over a lost semester. It’s time to pick up the pieces and make your days just a little bit brighter and a little more structured. 

It’s not healthy to change from one pair of pajamas to another day after day. You know that’s what you do when you’re sad or defeated. We’re just a little bit stronger now. And if you’re still struggling, that’s ok! I promise you will feel just a little better if you dress up. Clothes influence our mood. Putting on the clothes we would ordinarily wear to work or class (I’m talking jeans with that blouse, not just waist up!), puts us in the headspace to learn. Pajamas signal bedtime; jeans tell us it’s time to get going. This seems silly but it psychologically affects us. I won’t try to explain why –I’m an English major, not a psychologist – but I know I’ve felt this too. When we look like we’re ready to get moving, to make the day special, to go to class, we feel like it too. 

Why fill these already mundane days with more gray monotony? Put on that floral dress! Wear those 4-inch heels! You won’t be walking on the broken bricks of Locust anyway. You’ll be fashionable without the hassle of practicality. I wear full skirts and heels to sit at my desk on Zoom, but I don’t have to worry about walking through the rain or rushing between buildings. I get to sit pretty with my next class just a click away. Dressing up for no reason has given me a boost of happiness and added variety to my days. 

This is also your chance to be adventurous. Mix up your look and try something new. No one is judging you when life is so tumultuous. And if they do? Who cares! You can’t tell if someone is staring over Zoom. Besides, darling, I’m sure they’re just jealous of your impeccable style. 

While we’re on the subject of a Zoom audience…don’t be afraid to compliment people over the private chat feature. Nothing made my day more than the girl in my class who took the time to message me saying she liked my cardigan. We can spread a little positivity to each other even when all we did today was dress up. 

Really, the only downside to “overdressing” for Zoom is the fact that no one can see your bottom half. No one can see your adorable shoes or that skirt that was a quarantine buy (so no one has admired it yet). Well, I have a solution to that if you want your lecture to turn into an impromptu fashion show. Simply find a reason to stand up. Oh, you need a glass of water? There’s something just off screen that needs your attention? There are plenty of reasons to take a stand. I’m only a little vain – I promise. 

Try pretending you have the most fabulous places to go to, if even just for a week. After that, you might just believe you do. Dressing up for yourself is as good a reason as any!

Christina is a senior at UPenn studying English. When she isn't reading books, quoting Gatsby, or singing show tunes, wishing she could hit those highs like Patti LuPone, she is definitely annoying people by correcting their grammar.