Every Type of Person You See During Advanced Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Advanced registration for classes began Monday. This entire process can be extremely stressful since it forces us to think ahead an entire semester and plan which classes we want to take. Meanwhile, most of us are still not even sure if we know what we’re doing with our lives this semester. We picked out some of the major ways people arrange their classes.  You can tell a lot about someone based on the way they organize their day’s schedule…

The over-planner:

• Has already had their 4 year schedule set out, so knows exactly which classes they plan on taking each semester

• Registers with alternative choices for every single pick, and has a strategy to decide which to place 1st, 2nd, 3rd

• Intensely researched all professors who teach the class to determine the best one to take

• Has a strict time slot schedule they need to adhere to, and absolutely does not stray from it.

The night-owl:

• Schedules all afternoon classes to maximize sleep-in time

• No Friday classes allowed! Friday is strictly a day to recover from Thursday night downtowns

• All classes start no earlier than noon

• Night classes are a regular occurrence

The No-Plan Planner:

• Doesn’t decide what classes to take until the very last minute

• Barely puts their classes in in time for advance registration

• Goes based on what classes will be easiest and takes every semester as the “semester when I’m really gonna boost my GPA” by only taking easy classes

• Literally has no clue how they’re going to fit all of their remaining requirements into their schedule

Easy-does it:

• Only chooses classes based on the easy/interesting level

• Never takes a class (not required) over a 1.5 difficulty on penn course review

• Never buys textbooks ahead of time because they WILL switch if the course seems like it’ll be harder/ less interesting than they bargained for

• Over-schedules for 5 classes with the intention of dropping the hardest one

• One variation of this type of scheduler involves reading through the syllabi and selecting ONLY courses that do not have a final—this is dedication.

The Early Bird:

• Schedules all 9 AM’s and morning classes to maximize their time to study/ do extracurriculars in the afternoon

• Also the same kids who schedules 9am recitations on a Friday (who are you??)

The 2 days-of-class-a-week Kid:

• Packs their schedules for 2 or 3 days out of the week in order to have no class for 3 or 4 days

• Struggles for those two days but is able to enjoy the leisurely time off on the other days

• Sounds a lot better in theory, but is highly overrated in actuality

Sources:

http://muse.union.edu/mentor/files/2015/02/Registration.jpg

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_embed/pub…