This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

As someone who grew up with a lot of eczema, dry skin has always been an annoying part of my life. Growing up in Michigan — where it gets super cold in the winter — my dry skin only got worse as the weather got chillier. Because it was such a pervasive part of my life, I had to learn how to take care of my skin to avoid extreme dryness as much as possible. 

Here are some of my favorite tips to keep your skin healthy and happy during the winter!

*Disclaimer: Everyone’s skin is different, so some of these tips may not be the best for your skin type. That’s okay — find what works for you, and stick with it!* 

Get a Humidifier

I don’t really remember a time when I didn’t have a humidifier in my room because it’s always been essential to my winter routine. Humidifiers add moisture to the air so that it’s not as dry during the winter. 

They’re super simple to set up: just pour some water in the tank and the humidifier will do the rest. You can keep it running during the day, when you sleep, etc. to help keep the air around you moist. I got one from Amazon, but you can find them at retail stores as well!

Wear SPF

Yes, you heard that right — you have to keep wearing sunscreen during the winter! I know it sounds wrong; there’s barely any sun outside, right? Well, not quite. The truth is UV rays can still dry out your skin, even during the winter, so it’s important to keep wearing sunscreen all year round. In your skincare routine, apply sunscreen after moisturizer. My personal favorite is the Black Girl Sunscreen with SPF 30, which works great for darker skin tones!

Change Your Shower Routine

Your shower routine is as important as your skincare routine for your skin health! A hot shower can feel amazing in the wintertime, but it also really dries out your skin. Opt for colder/lukewarm showers when you can. 

Obviously, please don’t take a shower in the freezing cold water, but try not to use extremely hot water either. If you really enjoy your hot showers, consider taking shorter showers or just showering with lukewarm water a few days of the week. Even the smallest changes can make a big difference!

Moisturize Right After You Shower

Along with adjusting the actual temperature of the shower, moisturizing your skin while it’s still damp can help lock in the moisture. When I first did this, it felt a little uncomfortable putting moisturizer on wet skin, but you’ll feel so much better as soon as it’s rubbed in. You can find moisturizers specifically made for applying on wet skin, but you can also just use your normal body lotion (I use the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion).

Cover Up When You’re Outside

If you live in an area with colder weather, it’s super important to cover your skin when you’re outside, especially if you’re out there for extended periods of time. Try to wear multiple layers to keep the outside air from drying your skin. 

Honestly, this can just be an excuse to put together a cute winter outfit while you’re all bundled up! Throw on a matching scarf, a puffer jacket, maybe a cute beanie, etc. It can be fun and functional!

I know winter can be tough on dry skin, but hopefully these tips will help you enjoy the snow and cold weather. Have a great winter and holiday season!

Dhatri is a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania who is majoring in Networked and Social Systems Engineering. She's from Michigan, but she's super excited to be spending the next four years in Philly. When she isn't journaling or cooking, you can probably find her somewhere eating ice cream, painting her nails, and listening to Ariana Grande.