Why Is Riverdale Like This?

I’ll be the first to admit that I love a good, binge-worthy TV show. I’ve gone through Teen Wolf, Gossip Girl, Jane the Virgin, and so many more. It’s an addiction, clicking “next episode” until Netflix asks if I’m still watching… Twice in one sitting. So when CW announced that they were to be making a series adaptation of “Betty and Veronica” I thought, “well here we go again.”

The first season was great! I enjoyed it as a whole, with some weird, but ignorable, plot holes. The ending was strong, the acting was comical (can we talk about Kevin’s face in the end reveal?), and the singing was… Well, I try not to think too hard about the singing. But overall, totally what I expected out of the show.

The second season, however… There’s just so much. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve told myself it’s not worth it, only to binge three episodes in a row at midnight. For real, what’s the plot? What’s happening? Every episode has like eight different subplots rolled into one but I can’t seem to understand? What? Why? Who is that? Is that minor character important? Why is Betty’s mom wearing that dress and thinking it was a good choice? Help?

Quite frankly, this season was a disaster.

The acting somehow got worse and the singing kept happening with alarming frequency. I’m sorry, but the breathy rendition of “Milkshake” on top of Pop’s Diner with the crowds of people mouthing along serenely was a little too cult-like for my taste.

Hiram Lodge is continually looking good though. Honestly, the only reason I may be still watching the show is the LOOKS he and Hermione serve on the daily. Like damn, socialite gangster apparently will be my new aesthetic.

Honestly, this show is just a complete mess and I have no idea what to expect. Frankly, I’m surprised at the fact that it got renewed, if only because of Archie’s horribly done eyebrows. They got worse. It’s like the block eyebrow look is a favourite of the makeup artist. Ridiculous.

In summation, this show is a disaster. I’m obsessed. I will continue watching it and will continue complaining the entire time.

Bonus content: the terrible, no good, very bad cover of “Milkshake” here. I commend you if you’re able to get through the whole thing. Do better, CW, please.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, video