This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As students, we all know that some common stressors in our lives are school, work, and money. Our body is incredibly smart in the ways lets us know that perhaps we’re not rested properly, or that we’re not eating enough. When we’re stressed out it’s common to neglect our bodily needs, so it’s up to us to act on these signals so that we’re not totally out of energy when it comes to school and other important things in our lives. Ask yourselves the following questions daily to make sure you’re energized both physically and mentally, and in turn, less tired and stressed out when tackling tasks!

1) Are you eating enough?
It’s easy to forget about this since it happens behind the scenes, but our body use a lot of energy to digest, store and absorb food as well as for pumping blood, brain activity and oxygen use, besides the obvious energy costs of physical activity. It’s important to keep a balance between energy intake (food) and the various ways in which we expend our energy (biologically and physically). To reduce stress and maintain your energy, remember to eat proportionally relevant to the energy you expend per day. If you find yourself without time to eat enough then opt for some healthier snacks or meals that are naturally high in energy!

2) Have you had enough water?
There are multiple causes that can make us forget to drink water; perhaps it’s a full stomach or that we reach for a soda to quench our thirst instead. However, water is needed by all the cells and organs in the body to function properly – I mean it’s no joke when they say our bodies are 70% water! Water can be lost through activities as simple and mundane as breathing, so it’s important to keep replenishing the water we lose so that we keep ourselves from becoming dehydrated. The less water you drink, the more imbalanced your body is, and the less energy you have! Keep a water bottle with you so you have access to it when you’re out and about, and maybe even try adding some fruits or a wedge of lemon/lime to enhance its taste and nutritional value!

3) Are you dealing with your stress properly?
When we’re not getting enough sleep, it’s easy to immediately look to coffee or other caffeinated drinks to supply the energy we’re lacking. While those sorts of drinks are okay in moderation, it’s important to remember that caffeine is still a drug. Too much can result in irritability, restlessness, and other unpleasant side effects.

Besides caffeine, it’s common that to decrease our stress levels we turn to alcohol or tend to eat excessively/not enough – which are not exactly adaptive ways of dealing with stress. Try combating stress with more productive habits that are less biologically and mentally straining such as yoga or meditation instead.  

Stress goes hand and hand with energy, because being stressed out tends to increase bad eating habits, higher caffeine/alcohol intake, and poor sleeping habits. When it comes to stress, keep in mind that procrastinating has been proven in psychological research studies to worsen the impact of time-related stressors. Research also shows that having a good social support, it can buffer your immune system and physical health against these stressors. That being said, remember to eat right, drink enough water, keep the caffeine and alcohol levels in check and take breaks!

Good luck!

Sources:  1, 2

21 | uOttawa | Psychology Major/English Minor Lover of nature & art!!!