Victoire Kpadé and Amanda Quan: UOHS 2017 Co-Chairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Victoire Difié Têlé Kpadé
Program and Year of Study: Major in Biochemistry with a Minor in Health Sciences – 3rd year
Hometown: Lomé, Togo

(Victoire)

Name: Amanda Quan
Program and Year of Study: Major in Biomedical Science with a Minor in Economics – 3rd Year
Hometown: Mississauga, ON

(Amanda – Photo Credits: @kennn_eth​)

Her Campus uOttawa: What led each of you to add a minor to your degree?
Victoire Kpadé: I added a minor to my degree because although I know the importance of having an understanding of the fundamental sciences, I have always had an interest in global health issues and community medicine. Since both of those fields are science-centric, I wanted to be able to apply the critical thinking and analysis skills acquired in my science courses to health issues that transcend economic and political borders: climate change, infectious diseases, mental health issues and others.
Amanda Quan: I chose to add an Economics minor because of how it teaches you to think critically from all perspectives. Since it is a very human-centric field of study, one must be able to examine social, cultural, health etc. issues that would influence the production, but more importantly the allocation of goods and services. Similarly to Science, Economics is universally applicable and builds strong decision making skills.

HCuO: How did you two meet and what were your first impressions of each other?
VK: Amanda and I met at the first UOHS exec meeting when we were both in first year. My first impression of her is that she was incredibly well put together and well-spoken. Amanda is the kind of girl who will dress every day as if she were walking the runway at New York Fashion Week, and then she will blow your mind with her remarkable knowledge of stock exchanges and markets.
AQ: When Vic and I met, I would’ve never guessed that she was in first year like me. I thought she was at least a few years older and I remember being a little intimidated by her at first. It was definitely because of how confident and composed she was!

(Left: Amanda, Right: Victoire)

HCuO: What is UOHS?
VK & AQ: UOHS stands for the University of Ottawa Healthcare Symposium. We are a student-run, non-profit organization, that has hosted an annual undergraduate healthcare conference for the last 6 years. We aim to increase awareness of the interdisciplinary fields of healthcare by featuring guest speakers from within and beyond the traditional physician and nurse roles within healthcare.

HCuO: How has UOHS changed your university experience and your view of teamwork?
VK: I cannot imagine my university experience without UOHS. From speakers, to delegates, to fellow execs, this organization has allowed me to meet and learn from brilliant and passionate people from all walks of life. I think the second part of this question is funny because one of the questions asked every year on the executive application is “What does the word teamwork mean to you?”. As a third time exec, UOHS has taught me that teamwork is the ability to work with others regardless of your differences in order to reach a common goal. Teamwork stems from patience and results in strength.
AQ: UOHS has enriched my university experience. It has brought so many different people, ideas, and perspectives into my life. It all puts true value into the saying “Be part of something bigger than yourself.” My view of teamwork has changed since becoming part of UOHS, and since taking on a larger leadership role within the team. I believe compromise amongst a team is important, but working in a team should also not compromise an individual’s abilities. A great team should be able to play to each others’ strengths and weaknesses to get the job done well.

HCuO: What makes UOHS 2017 unique from past years? 
AQ: UOHS 2017 is unique from past years because it is a year of many firsts – our first year with two female co-chairs, our first time having a Nobel Prize Recipient as a keynote speaker, and our first year with an intern. As UOHS grows, we continue to take certain precautions to ensure that it remains affordable, sustainable and adaptable. All of our new ideas from this year’s amazing exec team certainly raises the bar and ensures that UOHS 2017 will be one for the books!

HCuO: What are your main differences and how do you approach these differences to work together as Co-Chairs?
VK: If I were to compare Amanda and I to idioms, she would be “The early bird gets the worm”, whereas I would be “Slow and steady wins the race.” While we have different ways of thinking and approaching problems, we are both so passionate about UOHS so we are able to combine our strengths and feed off of one another. I’ve been working with Amanda since first year and I am very grateful to be able to be Co-Chair with her!

HCuO: Can you please share a couple of fun facts about yourself?
VK: Some of my favourite things include slam poetry, tagging my friends in facebook memes, and assorted lipstick shades. I say shades and not colours because my mom tells me that all of my lipsticks look the same. I also love cultures and languages. Lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of African and Latin music. They have the best rhythms!
AQ: I love following politics and current affairs, doing home renovations and singing along to Taylor Swift. If the weather permitted, I’d wear a dress or skirt every day…I like to believe I coined the term “dressweather.”

Are you interested in attending UOHS on January 21, 2017? Stay tuned for ticket information and more details on Facebook and the UOHS website

Sources: All photos were provided by Amanda and Victoire.

Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.