University of Ottawa Pole Dance Society: Daria Sánchez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With over 175 official clubs on campus, you can expect to find anything and everything you might want to get involved in. Three years ago, the Pole Dance Society was formed to appeal to the students who did pole fitness during their free time. Throughout the years, they’ve grown into a well-known club on campus, that tends to shock students who have stereotypical views on this very demanding sport. 

You’ll often see them setting up a pole in the University Center during clubs week or during their various fundraisers to showcase their skills to the student body. When you see them, stop by to see what you could learn and how pole fitness could actually be the sport for you!

This semester, the club has 58 active members who meet up frequently for beginner and advanced workshops, sucker runs, movie nights, potlucks and all types of food sale fundraisers. May I also add that they do have male members, and men are more than welcomed to join!

Daria Sánchez, the President of the Pole Dance Society, agreed to have an interview with Her Campus U Ottawa concerning the club she runs during the 2013-2014 academic year. She described the Pole Dance Society as “a club for dancers of ALL levels to get together to practice and participate in fun workshops, and to train for upcoming competitions. Though we do not provide instruction, our sponsor studio, Ottawa Pole Fitness, is happy to provide instruction.”

Daria during a Photoshoot by METH photography for the annual Pole Dancing Calendar

Daria is specializing in Management Information Systems at the Telfer School of Management. While being a hard working student and social director of the Finance Society, she’s also devoted to the Pole Dance Society. Now a level 7 pole dancer, Daria started doing Pole Fitness when she was still in high school. She always enjoyed gymnastics and climbing, so Pole Fitness was a nice addition to the mix of things she does to stay active. 

Being able to cooperate with Ottawa Pole Fitness is one of the many things Daria loves about the society. Not only does she get to work along like-minded and passionate individuals, she also gets the chance to express herself in a way she’s never been able to before, all while staying fit and active.  

When asked how newbies could join the club, she mentioned you don’t need to be taking classes to be an eligible member. “We do hold a beginner workshop with certified instructors at Ottawa Pole Fitness each semester, so if you’ve never poled before, it’s a great chance to try it with an instructor for an hour to get a feel for it.” Furthermore, being a member enables you to get discounts at Ottawa Pole Fitness!

UOPDS members showing off some moves during Clubs Days on University Private

Pole fitness is a sport that is becoming more and more popular in North America, already having national and international competitions. Don’t hesitate to contact the Pole Dance Society to get more information on how you can get involved with the club and how doing this new sport could be the best decision you’ve ever made.