This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Summer is no longer for just lounging on the beach all day, every day. In today’s job market, one of the things that can put you ahead of the competition are internships. Internships are a great way of finding out whether your major is really right for you (or what you may want to do with your major after graduation). When you begin the search for an internship, it can be very overwhelming. There are so many places to look, so many qualifications, and so many options! If you’re stuck in a rut with finding internships or just need a place to start, try the following tips.

1. Narrow down your search
The most overwhelming part about the internship search can be the sheer number of internships that are available. The best way to start is to figure out how you want to narrow down your search. I usually start by location; figure out where you want to be for your internship. Do you want to stay in Ottawa, living in your apartment? Do you want to live at home? Do you want to try something completely new? If you don’t care where you are, try narrowing it down by the job you will be doing. Would you rather be sitting in a cubicle all day or roaming the streets drumming up advertising? These all can help decrease the amount of internships you see, thus bringing your stress level down a whole lot more.

2. Know which sites to use
Google doesn’t always cut it when it comes down to searching. Try using a job board, such as Indeed, Monster or Simply Hired to find yourself an internship. This takes postings from thousands of websites and companies, reducing the need to sit on Google for hours and hours. One of my personal favourites to use is LinkedIn because often you can apply right through LinkedIn! Another great resource is Her Campus’ job board; they have lots of postings and allow for companies to post directly on their website.

3. Create a spreadsheet
I’m a big fan of spreadsheets; they keep you organized and lay out all your information so that you don’t get overwhelmed. I like to use a classic Excel spreadsheet with 5 columns (Name of Company, Location, Link to Internship, Applied?, Response) to keep my applications sorted out. This is helpful when you continue to look after you have applied. Think you have applied to that internship at Shopify before? Check the sheet. Trying to remember if you heard back from TD Bank yet? Check the sheet. You’ll save yourself time and effort from double applying to positions.

4. Use your connections
You might hear this more than you wish, but it’s true; networking matters. One of the best ways to find an internship is through people you know. I was able to find an internship in the winter through a friend of my mom’s, which not only saved me the headache of searching, but also worked out to be a lot of fun and more personal. Even if your connections don’t have the power to offer you an intern position, they can probably point you in the right direction and/or give you a good recommendation.

5. Ask companies directly
I’m not a huge fan of cold calling (I have a bit of phone anxiety) but I am a fan of cold emailing. If you find a company you really want to work for, send them an email asking about internships. Sometimes they just haven’t posted them yet or don’t advertise them on their website. Make sure to use proper email etiquette and find the best way to ask about opportunities.

6. Visit the Career office
The Career office isn’t just helpful for finding a job after college. Often companies will post internships on Career office boards to find the best and brightest students. Stop by and peruse the postings, while speaking to a Career specialist. They will be able to give you additional tips for finding internships, but can also help you with resumes and cover letters for when you apply!

Take a deep breath and relax; you can do this! Finding an internship can be less stressful if you take your time and think through it. There are great things on the horizon for you!

Sources: Cover Photo

SaveSave

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!