jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things that are better than free coffee but not as good as “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

A comprehensive list of things that are – as you may have guessed- better than free coffee, but not as good as “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne.

Finding out the person in front of you in the drive-thru paid for your order

Humanity has its dark moments, but there are also people that truly give us hope for mankind. The best thing to do when this happens to you is to pass the gesture on and give the person behind you the same treat.

Having your 8:30 or 7-10 lecture cancelled

Could there be any better feeling than waking up at what feels like the crack of dawn and being told to go back to sleep? Absolutely not. This is as close as university is gonna get to giving you a snow day and it’s a feeling that never gets old.

Getting a parking spot downtown, for free

Paying for parking is the biggest scam I have witnessed in my life. Let me just give you 20$ and my first born child just so I can turn my car off and go inside to pay you more money for whatever it is I’m about to buy at your location. Or Nah. Finding a little corner in a busy place like downtown where you can park without risking a ticket and not give up your left kidney is a tragically thrilling feeling.

Waking up to your dog or cat wanting to join you in bed

The only living being I will not mind disturbing my sleep is my cat when he wants me to make him some room and share my pillow. Sleepy animals are the cutest animals and cannot be turned down or denied love. How adorable is it that this tired little bean chose you as a sleeping buddy and wants to cuddle? Very adorable.

Finding a new artist, you can obsess over

If you’re like me and listen to the same playlists over and over, finding a new artist to listen to is extremely refreshing and exciting. Finding new music to blast in your room and in your car beats anything else. When I do find a new artist to listen to – I go hard. I’ve been listening to nothing but BØRNS for the past 2 months and forcing all my friends to listen to him too. Maybe it’s time for another new artist?

Finding a travel-sized version of a product you don’t wanna pay full price for at Sephora

$20 for a Becca highlighter mini pack sounds a lot better than $45 for a bigger pot.  Who uses up the full size of those things anyway? This is also the best way to test out a new product you’ve been hearing about without making the big commitment to a regular size. Shout out to the Sephora travel-size section for convincing me to spend all my money and helping me justify my makeup spending.

When Netflix releases a new season of your favourite show

Finding out a new season of The Mindy Project is now on Netflix while studying for a midterm is just what I needed. Don’t mind if I take a 7-hour break to find out how Dr. Lahiri’s love life is going.

Free guacamole

Forget what I said about paid parking being the ultimate scam. Nothing makes me sadder than paying extra for guac. Guac is an absolute necessity when it is available – and thus these companies know that I will be paying extra for it if I have to. Why is it extra? What is so extra about needing a Lil’ avocado in my life? Those restaurants that don’t make you pay for the heavenly dip are the ones that hold the dearest position in my heart. Take notes Chipotle.

Images: thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Aya Raouf

U Ottawa '21

International Development and Globalization student at the University of Ottawa. Passionate about the environment, animal rights, travel, photography and french fries.