This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all received varying kinds of sexual education growing up. Let’s be realistic, every school and every class is taught differently. Some of the schools taught abstinence only, some only presented the possible diseases that can be passed, and some taught the proper use of condoms. Lots of us look back at those high school classes and cringe at how awkward they were. We don’t realize that the spread of sexually transmitted infections is a current and present issue.

Here are a few methods to make sure you’re safe from HIV and many other STIs:

1. Wear a condom
Remember, being on the pill protects you from pregnancy, but it doesn’t protect you from STDs. Wear a condom! They help to protect against a lot of the STDs out there.

2. Get tested!
Every Wednesday in the Health Promotion office, random HIV testing is performed. On March 29, they are hosting an event called “Pee to See”, in which tests for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are provided. If you are not able to attend this date, the services are provided for free in clinics downtown. Check www.Sexitsmart.ca for more information. (They also provide a FREE anonymous mailed condom service).

3. Oral sex is sex too
Make sure you wear a condom or a dental dam when having oral sex. You can even fashion a dental dam out of a condom if one isn’t available.

4. Use only water-based or silicone-based lubricants

5. Don’t share sex toys!

For more information about every Sexually Transmitted Infection follow this guide on the city of Ottawa website

Sources: 1, 2, 3