Steal Her Style: Cookie Lyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The beginning of November signals the second half of the fall semester. Midterms seem like they’ll never end and our motivation to do anything is disappearing faster than daylight. Seriously, the sun sets before five o’clock now?! The only commitment we seem to take seriously is our favourite fall shows.

Scandal, HTGAWM, and The Mindy Project are just some of our favourites and I recently started watching Scream Queens. I can’t even begin to deal. But the television show that seems to have everyone talking lately is Empire, which is well into its second season.

If I’m being honest, the only reason I watch Empire is because of Cookie Lyon.

And to be specific, I watch because I love to see what Cookie is wearing. Yes, I live for her sassy comebacks and I can’t help but appreciate her brutally honest opinion. But there is nothing I love more than seeing the fabulous and outrageous style that is Cookie Lyon.

This past spring, we did one of our infamous fashion profiles, Steal Her Style, for all our favourite small screen fashionistas, so it would only make sense to do one for Cookie Lyon.

Cookie Lyon is the only reason I have #FashionGoals, lately. From the leopard print dress:

To faux fur anything:

I’ve been completely bewitched by Cookie Lyon’s style. So, without further ado here are two of my favourite looks that I’ve recreated with pieces under $100.

Outfit #1: Casual Chic Look

This outfit gave me major street style goals. From the fresh white blazer and golden snake necklace to the perfect nude heels, each piece is easy to wear and easy to steal.

White Blazer

Quilted White Blazer at F21 $40

Boyfriend Blazer at F21 $30

Boyfriend Jeans

Boyfriend Jeans at H&M $40 

Boyfriend Jeans at Gap $80 

Boyfriend Jeans at Old Navy $30 

Nude Heels

Gold Point Heel at Aldo $70

Ankle Strap Heel at Spring Shoes $50

Leopard Print Tote

Reversible Leopard Print Tote at Nordstrom $75

Leopard Print Tote at ASOS $86

Outfit #2: Cheetahlicious Boss Lady

Cookie Lyon is definitely a #GirlBoss and I think this outfit says that perfectly. Check it out!

Cape Coat

Faux Fur Cape at F21 $76

Cape Blazer at Nasty Gal $90

Faux Leather Top

Faux Leather Top at F21 $30

Boxy Faux Leather Top at F21 $30

Faux Leather Top at H&M $35

Leopard Print Skirt

Skirt at ASOS $34 (Limited Supply)

Skirt at Zara $50

Skirt at H&M $60 

Snakeskin Clutch

Embossed Snakeskin Clutch at Zara $46

Multicoloured Snakeskin Clutch at Zara $46

Navy blue (or green) Snakeskin Clutch at ASOS $45

C’est fini! Two head-turning outfits that are on point and on price point!

What look was your favourite? Do you have a celebrity in mind whose style turns heads? Do you have a look you want to steal? Tweet us @HCuOttawa!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista