Steal Her Style- Small Screen Fashionistas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

These characters thought up and brought to life by amazing women manage to entertain us weekly and look great no matter what plot twist gets thrown their way. From comedy to drama, bright colours to neutral hues Mindy Lahiri and Olivia Pope can’t get more different, but the one thing they have in common is they’re super fashionable and I’m just dying to invade their closets. Want to steal their style? Keep reading to find out how.

1. The Mindy Project

“The Mindy Project” Mindy Lahiri is not only absolutely hilarious and smart but also super stylish. She has a great talent for mixing and matching prints and wearing neon colours. In true Mindy fashion, she exclaims, “I look like freakin’ spring awakening right now” which I think perfectly sums up her style. Her bright outfits match her sunny exuberant personality; it’s clear that she doesn’t take herself too seriously and has fun playing with and deifying fashion rules. Of course she always pulls them off, constantly redefining fashion faux pas to work in her favour.

To steal the quirky Lahiri style, get ready to make some risky fashion choices. First and foremost Mindy loves a good print, the more the better. Pair that with bright neon colours and sequins and you’re good to go!

To get her layered look, try out a printed blouse under a solid colour vest with a skirt. To top it off, throw on a belt to cinch in the waist.

For a night out with the girls or a romantic date night Mindy is sure to wear a bodycon dress to emphasize those curves. 

2. Scandal

Olivia Pope is certainly one of the best-dressed women on TV at the moment. She has the ability to single handily bring the president of the United States to his knees and looks absolutely flawless while doing it. Lyn Paolo is the stylist and mastermind behind her style; she describes her look as the epitome of strong femininity and “very Jackie O. She’s Kate Hepburn, basically.” I couldn’t agree more.

So what do you need to channel your inner Pope? Lots and lots of coats. Olivia works a wool coat like no other. Another staple is her iconic white trench coat. 

Make sure to stick to her basic colour scheme of whites, blacks, greys, navy blues and browns. Always ready to take on the powerful world of politics, she’s known for her amazingly tailored suits.

Olivia Pope is definitely the best corporate style inspiration a girl could ask for.

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hi there! I am Bolu Erinoso, currently a 4th year Communications student obsessed with all things media, fashion, and beauty related. I love to read, write and recently started a personal style website at www.whimsicalsoles.com with my fellow HerCampus writer Nancy.