The Stages of Making Plans in Group Chat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all have experienced at least one group chat in our lives. Whether it be on Facebook, Groupme, or iMessage, we know how difficult it can be to navigate ideas and formulate plans. Ever wonder what the stages that follow this horrificly fantastic experience?

1. Initiation of Togetherness
At this stage one of the members in the group chat wishes to bond with the other members. They send out a message asking for accompaniment to a so-far unidentified activity.

The group chat is crucial to message as many membrers of a friend group at any time.

2. The Idea Generator
After one person steps up and says the very elusive: “Wanna do something tonight?” the ideas need to start swarming. If not, you’ll be trapped in a perpetual state of: “I dunno… what do you want to do?”

And who knows how long that will take to resolve. After one member of the group chat decides to spit out an idea, they usually keep swarming. At this point, it is time to narrow down an activity and go to the next stage.

3. So… When?
I believe the “when” is more important than the “where”. We’ve all been in situations where we can’t bring ourselves to get out of our pjs and go somewhere nice. Therefore, plans can very well change. If you have a time, however, your friends have no excuse for being “busy” if the plans to go out change.

The biggest dilemma in this stage is finding a time where everyone can meet up all at the same time. Keeping in mind school, work schedules, and significant others can be a hassle. The entire group must prepare to be lenient.This stage usually involves a few hours of deliberating between times so the crew must have all of their schedules on hand.

4. Location, location, location
If the activity (i.e glow in the dark bowling, Escape Manor, or watching Grey’s Anatomy) and the time everyone is able to meet has been determined, the “when” is the only missing factor. Just like stage 2, ideas need to start swarming other wise no one is going anywhere. The most problematic part of this stage is deciding to go somewhere new or back to an old favourite.

After said plans are made, there are only a few reasons to stray off course from the task at hand:

• Your friend doesn’t make it to the bar
  • The person whose birthday it is changes their mind
  • There are free drinks somewhere else
  • Weather
  • High chance there will be nachos at this other location

It is important that all members of the group chat understand that each stage must be completed before the “going out” process occurs. Otherwise, disaster will strike.

5. You actually go out and have a good time! 
Jokes, your group chat will probably just still going to be in a constant state of confusion.

Source: Cover Photo