This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Valentine’s Day is pretty rude. I mean what other holiday throws love (and the absence of love) in your face for 24 hours straight? Then, the following week, you are forced to hear about how your friends went on super amazing dates with their significant others and see a bunch of Instagram models show off all of the extravagant flowers and presents that they received. For the rest of us non-coupled-up folk, Valentine’s Day is honestly just a day like any other. There really isn’t any reason we should be feeling sorry for ourselves but, after this particular day, loneliness can have a way of sneaking up on us. In honour of the girl who may be single but is most definitely not alone, here is a playlist for you. May you listen to, share, and dance to these songs and know that being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be the worst thing in the world.

Solo Dance // Martin Jensen

This song is honestly my favourite for lifting my spirits. The chorus is super catchy and I’ve definitely danced around my room to it a few too many times! The lyrics are also pretty genius since they describe a girl dancing in the club by herself, not looking for any guy’s validation. I think we could all take a cue from this song.

Obsessed // Maggie Lindemann

You may know her as an Instagram babe because of her stunning good looks but Lindemann is also a singer! Her latest single is full of shade towards superficial douchebags. But, if you wait until the last line, you’ll also hear a sassy hit of girl power. I’m obsessed!

Bodak Yellow // Cardi B

This isn’t even a song for the single girl, this is a song for every girl! This song gets me hyped up every time I hear it and I always feel like a strong, powerful female who doesn’t need a man in the slightest. Cardi’s success in 2017 is also super inspiring to me and her career, so far, gives me hope that hard work pays off in the end.

I Don’t Need A Man // Pussycat Dolls

This is an iconic anthem that I have been singing since I was 8 years old. I believe that there’s no better way to reinforce your independence than by blasting this song as loud as possible. It’s a throwback but it’s fundamental for any single girl’s repertoire.

Independent Women // Destiny’s Child

A classic. That’s all I have to say.

Cool Girl // Tove Lo

Because maybe no one else has told you that you’re a cool girl today! Tove Lo is the queen of sass and it shows because all of her songs have a really hardcore female undertone. If it’s confidence that you need, Tove Lo is an expert.

Sources: Cover

Cheryl Ng

U Ottawa '20

Cheryl is a third year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Communication. She is passionate about all kinds of art, but mostly writing and photography. She is an avid traveler and hopes to one day have a career that enables her adventurous spirit! Cheryl est une étudiante en troisième année à l’Université d’Ottawa. Elle étudie la science politique et la communication. Elle aime beaucoup les arts, les écrits et la photographie en particulier. Elle est une voyageuse et voudrait avoir un emploi qui comprend des occasions à voyager tout autour du monde!