This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s no secret that #HCuOttawa has a massive team. With over 40 full time writers and an Events and Marketing staff of about 20, we’re bigger than most sports team and we definitely give the Cheaper By The Dozen family a run for their money. 

With that being said, it’s no surprise for us to walk into a class at the beginning of a semester and run into a ton of collegiettes on the team. Luckily for us three (Kristen, Zoë, and Briana), that exact thing happened. 

If you’re in the Faculty of Arts, you may have heard of an amazing third year course titled “CMN3174: Advertising Techniques”. This awesome class is exactly what the title says it is- learning about advertising techniques. We’ve been analyzing ad campaigns, discussing good and bad advertising techniques, and learning how to actually create the ads that you see on TV, bulletin boards, and pretty much everywhere.  So why are we bothering to tell you about this? Well, for the second half of the semester the class, together with the professor, have created an ad agency. Each week, we’re working with real clients to bring them an assortment of advevtising campaigns to help their businesses thrive. In addition to working with new clients each week, we’re going to be able to try new advertising techniques that we’ve learned about in class (for example: online images, posters, guerrilla marketing, and videos). 

In addition to being able to work on our photoshop skills, we’re hoping to encourage other collegiettes out there who may be interested in working in the advertising or marketing field after graduating. Each week, we’ll bring you a new Campus Celebrity article that features the client of the week and a blog post of how the project is coming along. So, get prepared to get a “behind-the-scenes” look at a real ad agency at work and learn from our first hand experiences working in this field! 

Check out the 102 Ad Collective’s website!

Get To Know Us:

Kristen:

Program: Communications

Position on HCuOttawa: Fashion & Beauty Writer 

Favourite Part of CMN3174: Learning so many different techniques and programs. We’re learning tools and skills that will not only make us better students, but better employees as well.

Kristen (centre) at #CapitalCatwalk with two HCuOttawa staff members

Zoë:

Program: Communications

Position on HCuOttawa: VP/Director Media Relations

Favourite Part of CMN3174: Getting to interact with real businesses and work in an atmosphere that is always upbeat and positive.

Zoë (right) with an HCuOttawa staff member at the annual Her Campus National “Her Conference” in NYC

Briana:

Program: Economics

Position on HCuOttawa: Collegiette Life Writer

Favourite Part of CMN3174: Jerie. Shaw. She’s the most involved professor I’ve ever had the opportunity to learn from and she sincerely cares about us growing as students and as adults in the workforce, which is so refreshing. 

Briana (right) with her sister!

Stay tuned for our first Campus Celebrity post with our first client to be featured later this week! 

Photo Credits: to the authors of this article

Zoe Crego

U Ottawa '17

Zoë held the position of President of Her Campus at uOttawa from 2015-2017 and was a Senior Chapter Advisor. She graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2017 and has pursued a career in the Canadian federal public service. She is very grateful to Her Campus for providing a creative outlet while studying and believes her experience with Her Campus helped her grow professionally and personally.    
I transferred to uOttawa in September of 2013 from the beautiful University of British Columbia. But don't let that introduction fool you, I'm from Nova Scotia.  I like dresses, I like the Toronto Raptors, I like Christmas, I like bread, I like online shopping, I like Mindy Kaling and I like penguins.