This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

By Alexa Naccarato

Enjoying snacks during a movie are essential, but chips, chocolate, candy, and popcorn overly soaked in butter aren’t waist or sleep friendly. Excess sugar, fat, and salt can keep you awake at night feeling bloated the next morning. Here are some of the best snacks that are not only healthy and satisfying, but will promote a better night’s sleep. 

1. Popcorn: Plain, air-popped popcorn is high in serotonin, the chemical that regulates your sleep cycle, according to nutritionist Dr. Kerry Glassman. For flavor, add a touch of melted coconut oil to plain popcorn, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dash of coarse salt.

2. Cherries: Cherries are high in melatonin, which promotes a longer, uninterrupted slumber.

3. Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium, which helps with muscle relaxation. Not a fan of eating plain pumpkin seeds? I don’t blame you. Add an extra kick by making a simple trail mix: a handful of pumpkin seeds, a few almonds, dried cherries and a tablespoon or two of dark chocolate chips.

4. Apple with Almond or Peanut Butter: Dr. Glassman says that sometimes eating an early dinner and going to sleep hours later can cause our blood sugar levels to drop, leaving us too hungry, maybe even hangry (late night cravings are the worst). Put those cravings to bed by eating an apple with some nut butter. The healthy fat will keep you fuller, and the combo will give you “just enough glucose to keep you sleeping at night” says Glassman. 

Just remember that a snack is a snack. This isn’t an excuse to overeat before bed, as going to bed on a full stomach isn’t ideal for weight management or sleep quality. Sometimes we need a little something to munch on after dinner but don’t want to sabotage our sleep or waistline. Give these snacks a try during your next Netflix binge session if you’re looking for a better night’s sleep. Feeling satisfied before bed without feeling overly stuffed paired with quality zzz’s will leave you feeling and looking optimal. Happy snacking!

References:

1 & 2

Daughter, sister, student, friend. I have a fond love for good board games, napping and tea. I consider myself to be a professional apple cutter.