This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I know it, you know it, heck, your great-grandmother probably knew it too: wearing makeup while working out isn’t necessarily what’s best for your skin. Nonetheless, it’s important to take into account all of the perks of feeling good about yourself while working out, and let’s be honest, makeup can do just that.

While I’m no dermatologist or athlete, I’ve found myself forced to visit the Montpetit and Minto workout rooms to work away the guilt I feel from indulging in the campus’ hot dog man’s famous street meat (or non-meat in my case). This said, with a stomach full of grease and a face full of makeup, I change into my carefully put-together gym clothes and head into the war zone.

To Makeup Or Not To Makeup?
Most dermatologists agree that wearing makeup while working out can cause acne. Your makeup can trap an accumulation of sweat and bacteria under your layers of foundation, creating the perfect environment for spots. Your foundation and smudged mascara can clog your pores and lead to the formation of blackheads. In order for your skin to breathe and release its toxins, a bare face is the way to go. If you insist on wearing makeup to the gym, lean towards and oil-free foundation or a BB cream. Moreover, whether you wear makeup to the gym or don’t, it’s important that you wash your face after your workout in order to rinse off the sweat that can easily cause blemishes.

Dermatologists aside, many girls, including myself, wear makeup to the gym in order to feel good while working out. For me, going to the gym isn’t part of my routine, but if it’s part of your weekly routine, I applaud you. This being said, in my experience, I don’t look too great trying to accomplish an hour-long workout. I’m like a fish out of water: thirsty and slowly dying! Wearing makeup at the gym doesn’t imply that you’re looking for attention or that you don’t plan on working hard, it’s simply a matter of opinion and the choice belongs to the person wearing (or not wearing) the makeup. If you’re like me and makeup makes you feel good about yourself as you fail at completing your sets on arm day, forget about what other people think and do you Boo Boo.

Do you wear makeup at the gym? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!

Sources: 1,2,3

First year Conflict Studies and Human Rights student.