Read It Before You Watch It: Books Coming to the Silver Screen This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’ve always loved walking through Chapters and looking at all the books being adapted for film then scrambling to finish them before going to the movies. While we all know and expect that the adaptation will never be as good as the book, it’s fun to anticipate your favourite moments being translated to the screen – bonus points if they get the casting on point! So, if you’re looking for a new book, check out some of the books being adapted for film this year – and try to finish the book before watching!

Southern Reach by Jeff Vandermeer – Annihilation (February 3rd)

The first installment of Vandermeer’s trilogy about a group of female scientists and explorers travelling to a mysterious region called “Area X” which has unearthly terrains and creatures is being adapted to film. This action flick boasts a killer cast lead by Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James – Fifty Shades Freed (February 9th)

The best-selling trilogy comes to an exciting on-screen conclusion with the adaptation of the final book detailing the complicated, sexy and dramatic lives of Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey. Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan will play the famous characters one last time with the epic finale hitting theatres in time for Valentine’s Day.  

Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews – Red Sparrow (March 2nd)

Another book beginning a trilogy, Jennifer Lawrence is starring in the much-anticipated spy film. Dubbed the “female James Bond”, Lawrence plays a Ballerina-Turned-Russian-Spy who gets too attached to her next target, endangering her life and her organization.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine d’EngleA Wrinkle in Time (March 9th)

This classic children’s book is being brought the silver screen by another cast packed with incredible women: Storm Reid, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Oprah Winfrey. The Ava Duverny- directed film stays true to the classic tale of a young girl’s strength as she goes up against the universe to find her missing father.

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Abertalli – Love, Simon (March 16th)

Abertalli’s coming-of-age novel about the life and experiences of a young teenager, Simon, as he struggles with teenage woes while figuring out how to come out of the closest is being adapted with Nick Robinson playing the titular character.

Where’d You Go, Bernadette?  By Maria Semple – Where’d You Go, Bernadette? (May 11th)

Cate Blanchett stars as Bernadette, a troubled, brilliant mother who disappears after a family vacation to Antarctica and the journey her daughter goes on to find her mother. The 2012 bestseller also stars Kristen Wiig and Troian Bellisario.

Crazy, Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan – Crazy, Rich Asians (August 17th)

Kevin Kwan’s novel about a young woman from New York who travels to Singapore with her boyfriend for the summer is being led by Constance Wu, playing the main character. Discovering her boyfriend had a much more extravagant upbringing brings with it wild characters and insane plot twists is this book-to-movie adaptation.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken – The Darkest Minds (September 14th)

Another trilogy adaptation, The Darkest Minds takes on the first instalment of Bracken’s book series which focuses on Ruby, a teenager who gained superpowers after surviving a plague that wipes out most of the human race. Amandla Stenberg (think Rue from The Hunger Games) stars in this young adult book adaptation.

The Girl in the Spider’s Web by David Lagercrantz – The Girl in the Spider’s Web (October 19th)

After the death of Lisbeth Salander Trilogy writer Stieg Larsson, David Lagercrantz took over the series to continue telling the story of the infamous hacker. Queen Elizabeth herself, Claire Foy, is taking over as Lisbeth for the next film in the series.

My Heart is My Own: The Life of Mary Queen of Scots by John Guy – Mary Queen of Scots (November 2nd)

Focusing on the life of Queen Mary of Scotland, John Guy’s novel depicting the life of Mary before her ascension to the throne of England will show the relationship between Mary and Queen Elizabeth I, played by Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie respectively, on the silver screen.

Images: thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.