This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s no secret that Christmas is my favourite time of the year. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have been thinking about it since well before Halloween. One of the best parts of preparing for this time of year is picking out the perfect outfit for Christmas Day. My family tends to dress up more formally, so I’m known to go all out for the occasion, as you can see below!   

Having said that, if you are more of a casual gal, this section is for you. Of course, you could go the easy route and throw on any tacky Christmas sweater, but my favourite aspect of a casual Christmas outfit is always the socks! There are so many cute options for tacky Christmas socks. Pairing those with some jeans (or leggings if you prefer), and a cozy sweater is my casual go-to.  If you want to take it up a notch from a pullover, there are so many options this season for sweaters with fun sleeves, the bell-sleeve being one of my personal favourites.

If you want something that’s a step up from the usual leggings and sweater look, I suggest going for a plaid shirt, especially for Christmas time. Collared shirts are also a very easy way to look put together. You can pair any button up with jeans, and either a vest or blazer (if you want to step it up even more). If you’re like me, and you always get roped into helping Grandma in the sweltering kitchen, you can always add a pair of statement earrings or necklace instead of the extra layer. 

Last but not least, if you’re feeling extra this holiday season (or you’re just in general), this one’s for you. My favourite piece to bring out for the holidays is one of my many red skirts.  Generally, I pair it with a plaid collar blouse, but you could really match any top. Christmas also tends to be the time when I pull out my pearl necklace, but I know a lot of people who also prefer adding sparkle to their statement necklace.  If you want a simpler yet chic option, wearing a black dress with red lipstick is a classic festive outfit. The emerald green colour with crushed velvet pattern is very trendy this season as well, and it also adds a subtle touch of the traditional red and green.