Ottawa Foodie’s Guide to Eating Your Way Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Ottawa is more than a government city, it’s beautiful, scenic and it offers many wonderful experiences. One such experience, is being able to try out so many different restaurants and food services offering delicious dishes from around the world.

Three Brothers –  Lebanese

Chances are that if you live in Ottawa, you’ve had Lebanese food at some point. This is due to the fact that there is basically a Shawarma restaurant on every corner. Having eaten at most of them, I can say that there are many great options. However, I would recommend Three brothers Shawarma because there is a location 2 minutes from campus on Osgoode Street and it’s the best place to grab a bite before classes without having to be in a rush.

Tipikliz- Haitian

Tipikliz is a new Haitian food delivery service which offers various Haitian food staples at a very affordable price. Aside from the delicious food, the best part is that you don’t even have to leave your house to experience a little part of Haiti. For 15 dollars, Tipikliz brings the taste of Haiti to you in about 35 minutes, so that you can get your grub on from the comfort of your own home.  

Ahora Mexican Cuisine – Mexican

Lately there seems to be a lot of Mexican food places popping up around Ottawa. However these restaurants all seem to be the same i.e Hipster minimalist decor, overpriced tacos and a DJ playing hip hop music, because when you think Mexican cuisine you automatically think of Tupac right? If you’re tired of the over priced tacos, then you should head over to Ahora Mexican Cuisine for authentic home style Mexican food.

Horn of Africa – Ethiopian

The Horn of Africa is located on Rideau Street and specializes in Ethiopian cuisine.  The restaurant offers many tasty options at a very affordable price. Which is perfect for student budgets.

Trattoria Caffé Italia – Italian

It goes without saying that if you are looking for authentic Italian food, Little Italy should be your first stop. But, with so many restaurants it might be hard to know where to start. I would suggest Trattoria Caffé Italia where they offer traditional Italian cuisine. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and the service is amazing!

Hi, I'm Deborah. I'm currently a third year Communications and Political science student at the University of Ottawa. I'd describe my hobbies as those of a middle aged housewife, I love to cook, read, crochet, marathon Netflix and pin all the diy crafts i'll most likely never make.