This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

To me, nothing quite compares to a live show. From the getting dolled up to the standing ovation at the end, it is always an unforgettable night. Seeing a show live demands that you be present in the moment and is a perfect opportunity to get away from all the stress and craziness of life. Be it a concert, play, musical or dance production, it is amazing to see how people can come together so perfectly to send an audience somewhere else for two or so hours. It is also always just amazing to revel in how talented people can be. Plus, after being a part of several shows myself, I can attest to how much work goes into putting on a show. Seeing a live show is also such a unique experience because it will never be exactly the same every night. 

I am very lucky to have grown up in a family who loves the theatre. I have distinct memories of seeing shows like The Sound of Music, We Will Rock You and Les Misérables and leaving in awe. I would be on such a high from not only the show but the whole atmosphere. Now, on the special occasion that I am gifted with tickets to see any kind of show, the day is circled on my calendar weeks in advance. Getting to go with a friend or family is also such a special shared experience.

So, if you are struggling to find a Christmas gift for your significant other, best friend, parent, whoever, why not look into what shows are coming to a town near you. It is not only a unique gift but a chance for the both of you to spend some quality time together that you won’t soon forget. If not a gift, it is also a great way for you and a friend to unwind or celebrate the end of exams.

In Ottawa, one of the go-to places for shows is the National Arts Center. Located right by the Rideau Center, the NAC has different productions going on year-round. For December, they also have lots of Christmas productions to get you in the holiday spirit. if you want to consider giving out some early Christmas gifts, here are some of the shows available right now:

A Christmas Carol – Dec. 5-24

The Adventurous: Stories of French Canada – Dec. 14

Disney in Concert: A Dream is a Wish – Dec. 14-16

The Chris Timms Comedy Cabaret – Dec. 17

Joshua Bell’s Christmas with the NAC Orchestra – Dec. 20

Crystal Shawanda Christmas Concert – Dec. 21

Handel’s Messiah – Dec. 22

Shen Yun – Dec. 28-30

If you are interested in finding out more about the shows listed or buying tickets you can visit the NAC website. The website also has all the shows coming in January 2018, including a musical, ballet, play and several concerts.

If you are a student, you can go to the box office and with your student card get 50% off select shows. Certain shows also have $15 LIVE RUSH tickets. Rush tickets are bought on the day of the show, either online or at the box office and are a great way to save money.

So, this holiday season, whether you are looking for a good gift or just a great night out, look no further than the theatre.

Sources: NAC, thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Alexa Redford

U Ottawa '19

4th Year History student at uOttawa, capital city of the Great White North. Hopeful future law student, human radio, tv show encyclopedia, sour gummy worm addict, procrastinator. UOttawa Lifestyle Editor.