Movies That Prove You CAN Get Your Life Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I don’t know about you, but when I’m feeling stressed out or like my world is falling apart, watching a movie can be great at helping me escape for a little while. It’s especially helpful if the movie is inspirational enough to get me to leave my super comfy bed and be productive. If you’re anything like me, you’ll get tired of watching the same old movies, so here are my recommendations. You may have heard about these movies before and weren’t sure if they were worth watching but the movies below have my guaranteed stamp of approval. Plus, all of the following movies should be available on Netflix!

Eat Pray Love

If you have not seen this movie yet, where have you been? Besides the fact that Julia Roberts is one of my favourite actresses, this particular movie never fails to renew my outlook on life and it’s a really great watch for any occasion. If you’re stressed out about school, going through a break-up or feeling down in the dumps for no reason at all, this movie is truly the perfect companion. It also gives me major travel envy!

This movie follows the life of Elizabeth Gilbert (Julia Roberts) and how she began to feel lost and unhappy in her seemingly put-together life. After she gets a divorce, she decides to embark on a journey of self-discovery by leaving everything behind and traveling to Italy, India, and Indonesia. Through her travels, she regains her appetite for food and life, she learns to pray and meditate, and she figures out how to lose control in love.

Mr Right

This movie is absolutely hilarious and exactly my sense of humour. The characters are super quirky and lovable, and I much prefer Anna Kendrick in this movie over her character in the Pitch Perfect series. But what I love most about this movie is that it’s so fun, and the story and characters together make you feel like you too can be invincible, even if you think you’re just a regular guy or gal.

The movie is centered on Martha (Anna Kendrick) who finds out her boyfriend has been cheating on her. While wallowing in the aftermath of her break-up, she meets a new guy (Sam Rockwell) and spends the entire day in his company, being distracted from her feelings and actually having fun. She finds herself falling in love with him, the only problem is that he’s actually a hitman with a skewed sense of morality.

Limitless

This is one of my top 10 all-time favourite movies! While the plot is scientifically impossible and unrealistic, watching Bradley Cooper become an absolute powerhouse and push the boundaries of human capacity, makes me think about how productive I could be if I actually put my mind to something. Whether it’s learning a new language, getting a big project done, or confronting your fears, this movie makes you feel like you CAN do it all.

This movie follows Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper), a struggling writer with no motivation for life, who is introduced to a nootropic-type drug that allows him to use 100% of his brain function instead of the usual 10%. This results in him getting his act together, finishing his book, and becoming a stock market sensation. However, this meteoric rise to the top of the financial game is not without consequences and he soon gets unwanted attention from several different groups, all who have a vested interest in either the drug or his intelligence. 

Burnt

Bam! I’m hitting you with a double Bradley Cooper feature because let’s face it, he’s just so amazing and he will forever be my celebrity crush. I love this movie because of its intense focus on what it takes to make it in the culinary world and because Bradley Cooper shows off his adorable French-speaking skills. Fun fact, Bradley Cooper actually learned French at Georgetown University and completed a student exchange in Aix-En-Provence, France. Il est trop mignon!

The movie is about Adam Jones (Bradley Cooper) who decides to get his life together after throwing away his successful culinary career because of drugs and alcohol. His goal is to redeem himself by earning a third Michelin Star which is shown to be an extremely difficult challenge. He faces down rival chefs and old enemies in order to prove himself and finally escape his past.

Breathe

This movie is the kind of movie that makes you feel extremely grateful to be alive after you watch it. When life gets tough, it’s hard to remember that you have a lot to be grateful for. The fact that you can breathe, see, walk, play sports, or taste food can be easily taken for granted. Sometimes, we need a reminder that this life can be so amazing and full of opportunity. On the days where you’re struggling, you might want to consider what your life would be like if you didn’t have all the abilities that you have now. Would you be satisfied with what you have done with your time? Would you have any regrets?

The movie is based on the true story of Robin Cavendish, who became paralyzed from the neck down by polio at a relatively young age. With the help of his wife who passionately works to improve his quality of life, he becomes an outspoken advocate for the disabled and re-discovers what it means to be alive.

Sources: Cover

Cheryl Ng

U Ottawa '20

Cheryl is a third year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Communication. She is passionate about all kinds of art, but mostly writing and photography. She is an avid traveler and hopes to one day have a career that enables her adventurous spirit! Cheryl est une étudiante en troisième année à l’Université d’Ottawa. Elle étudie la science politique et la communication. Elle aime beaucoup les arts, les écrits et la photographie en particulier. Elle est une voyageuse et voudrait avoir un emploi qui comprend des occasions à voyager tout autour du monde!