Meet the HCuO Team: Chantelle La Rue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Chantelle La Rue

Program:  Honours Specialization in Communication with a Minor in Management

Hometown: Keswick , Ontario

Position: Head of Marketing and Publicity

Her Campus uOttawa: What drew you to your program of study?
Chantelle La Rue: I’m really interested in how media affects people and how people interact with each other and the media. I recently added a business minor because I wanted to learn more about marketing.

HCuO: Why did you want to get involved with Her Campus uOttawa? 
CL: I got involved with Her Campus originally as a part of the fashion show team. I love fashion and thought it would be a really cool event to be a part of. I was also looking to make more friends and have found some really great people through Her Campus.

HCuO: What has been your favourite parts of working with Her Campus?
CL: One of my favourite parts of Her Campus is the fashion show. The day when it all comes together is really fantastic!

HCuO: What is something that changed your life?
CL: Coming to Ottawa has changed my life. I am from a small town outside of Toronto and in moving to a city, I’ve had so many new opportunities and have met some really amazing people. By going far from home, I’ve been able to explore many new things that I likely wouldn’t have had the opportunity too had I stayed closer to home.

HCuO: What makes you happy?
CL: Cream, cheese and glitter… but not together! 

HCuO: If you were stranded on an island, what three objects would you bring?
CL:
 If I was stranded on an Island, I would bring my favourite book, A Little Princess, and more practically matches and a radio.

HCuO: If you could choose a mentor, who would it be and why?
CL:
If I could choose any mentor, I would choose Brooke Davis from One Tree Hill. She is a fictional character but also someone I really admire. The character constantly overcomes adversity with grace and humility. She always does the right thing even when it isn’t easy to do. She is also a very successful business woman who builds a fashion empire from nothing without stepping on people to do it. In a perfect world where One Tree Hill characters actually existed, Brooke Davis would be the best mentor

HCuO: What would the name of your memoir be called and why?
CL:
If I had a memoir it would be called “Sparkle.” I approach life with a legally blonde type of attitude. I’m driven and ambitious, but I love everything that is glittery and girly. 

Sources: Photos were provided by Chantelle La Rue. 

SaveSave

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.