Meatless Meals: 10 Protein-Packed Dinner Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

For vegetarians, vegans or anyone who doesn’t eat meat (because let’s be real, it’s crazy expensive!), getting enough protein in your meals can be a challenge. To pack a little extra protein punch, take a look at these delicious meal ideas down below!

1. Black Bean Burgers

These burgers sub meat for black beans and are loaded with protein, not to mention they taste absolutely delicious and are completely vegetarian! Check out the recipe here.

2. Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

This vegan recipe uses quinoa in place of any meat to make these super yummy stuffed peppers. For a little added flavour, add taco mix and salsa for a little Mexican zest.

3. Breakfast for Dinner: Veggie and Egg Bake

…or breakfast – for any meal, really! This tasty casserole recipe combines the best protein-rich veggies and eggs in one meal to satisfy any meat cravings.

4. Veggie Quiche

The word “quiche” may sound too fancy for your University meals, but this recipe is easy, affordable and delivers the perfect amount of protein. Just add your favorite protein-rich veggies to this classic meal and pop it in the oven. Plus, you can eat it for any meal of the day!

5. Chickpea Edamame Pitas

Chickpeas and Edamame are superfoods when it comes to protein content. This pita recipe combines them in a delish wrap that could give even hummus a run for its money.

6. Layered Taco Salad

Swap iceberg or romaine lettuce for spinach and replace ground beef with cashews, walnuts or quinoa for the perfect, protein-filled Taco Salad. Bonus: This recipe uses guacamole!

7. Avocado and White Bean Salad

Avocado + beans = loads of protein goodness! This tasty salad serves up 25 grams of protein with just a few simple ingredients.

8. Lasagna

This savory dish loaded with gooey cheese is entirely meatless and full of protein. Switch out wheat noodles and meat for zoodles (zucchini noodles) and eggplant for a vegetarian delight.

9. Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes

This vegan recipe provides tons of protein from the baked sweet potatoes and roasted chickpea topping! Tasty, satisfying and so easy to make.

10. Nachos with Black Beans and Fried Eggs

There are few things in the world I love more than nachos, and finding a meatless*, protein-packed nacho recipe made my day! These nachos get their fill of protein for the black beans and eggs on top of crunchy tortilla chips. Cheese blends add even more protein and the veggies sprinkled on top complete this delicious meal!

*This recipe does use sausage, but it can easily be omitted for a completely meatless dinner!

SourceCover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.