This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that time of the year again… It’s getting colder, daylight is shortening, and staying in bed for a couple of extra minutes in the morning seems like the best idea ever.

If you’re like me, your morning sets the tone for the rest of your day. And if you’ve already woken up on the wrong side of bed… there’s no hope, right? Wrong! Here are some tips to help you turn your morning around, because like anything in life, it’s never too late to start fresh.

1. Get between 7–9 hours of sleep.
    I’m sure you already know this, but a good night’s rest is necessary for proper replenishment. Reading before bed, drinking sleepy time tea, meditating, practicing yoga, and journalling are all things you can do before bed to unwind and ensure your body is in the state to rest. Also, to reduce your personal radiation exposure and increase your sleep quality, make sure to turn your phone off at least half an hour before your head hits the pillow.
  2. Give yourself 15–30 minutes in the morning to really get your day started.
    We all have those mornings where we don’t want to get out of bed. And once we finally do, we feel rushed to hop onto the computer, half asleep, and start working right away. Tomorrow morning, try and allow yourself a few minutes to wake your mind and body up before the chaos of the work day. During this time, stretch or do some mild yoga, make yourself a cup of coffee, eat a nutritious breakfast, read/journal, talk to your housemates, etc. Stimulate your mind and body before jumping into daily tasks or chores.
  3. Listen to a podcast (or some feel-good tunes).
    If you wake up on the wrong side of bed, I guarantee that some music or an uplifting podcast will make you feel better. Some of my podcast recommendations are: New Mindset, Who Dis?, Good Life Project, and 21 Day Positive Mindfulness Meditation Challenge.
  4. Repeat a few affirmations to yourself.
    Stand in front of a mirror and repeat some affirmations to yourself. Affirmations are positive statements that can drastically impact your confidence and sense of self. Even more, if you say them in the morning, they can help you feel inspired and reinvent your mindset for the day. Here are some examples:

“I let go of any negative feelings about myself or my life, and accept all that is good.”

“I always attract only the best of circumstances and I have the best and positive people in my life.”

“I am a beautiful person, inside and out, and I am capable of achieving whatever I set my mind to”

Remember, just because you had a bad morning doesn’t mean that you’ll have a bad day. Or a bad week. Or a bad month. You got this. Take a moment to breathe when you wake up in the morning and give yourself the props you deserve for doing everything you’re doing. These are extremely trying times and you’re not alone. You’re awesome, and don’t ever forget it.

Hi there :) I'm a fourth-year student at uOttawa pursuing an Undergraduate Degree in Communications. My passion for writing goes far beyond my academic and professional career – I love art, poetry, storytelling, and everything to do with creative writing. I hope you enjoy my work!