This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As much we’re dying for summer to start, there are some undeniable down falls that come with hot weather that we just can’t ignore. Besides the bees and mosquitos, hot seatbelts and endless road work, the real summer buzzkill we all know too well is none other than the city’s nasty humidity. Not that the other annoyances aren’t terrible, but they’re avoidable (for the most part). If you’ve ever woken up on a humid morning, then you know it doesn’t end there, your skin and hair suffer for the whole day afterwards, and you pretty much have to avoid every mirror in the house. So while there’s no quick fix for all of summer’s downfall’s, we can at least focus on the important ones! Check out the tips we’ve shared below to help you keep your cool in the heat this summer! 

Half updo

Rocking half updo’s are perfect for the summer. Whether you’re looking for a long-lasting style for a wedding, or you just want to enjoy patio season without having humidity kill your vibe, half updo’s are your go to. I’m a fan of anything that can be freely adjusted throughout the day. If it gets too hot, you can (give up – and) throw your hair in a bun, or if the weather is working in your favour, keep rocking whatever cute half updo you’ve already pulled off. Check out these styles below!

Break out the braids

So we all know that braids remind us of two things: summer and sleepovers (it could just be me for the second one, I blame Gossip Girl’s unrealistic image of sleepovers for this stereotype). So it’s almost a no-brainer to see this one make the list! Thanks to Instagram and Pinterest, the braid bar has been set pretty high! Here are some trending braid styles for you to attempt before resorting back to the basic braid.

Headbands and head wraps

When we talk headbands, our minds obviously jump to the headband Queen herself, Blair Waldorf (sorry last GG reference, I promise). Headbands never really disappeared, their style only evolved over time. So while we love Queen B for her iconic headband frenzy, let’s keep up with the times and follow the newer trends shared below. If you’re looking for a newer challenge, head wraps take a perfectionist level of skill to pull off. Now that doesn’t mean you should write yourself off from these pieces altogether! Pick your favourite style, watch a tutorial, and hope for the best!

Master the messy bun

Like all ladies and gents know, messy buns definitely take more time than styled ones! They’re misleading to the rookies and false advertising to everyone else. A perfect messy bun needs a few loose hairs hanging (but not too many), needs to sit loosely on the head (but not too loose that it slides too far down), and should still somehow look presentable and cute overall. Since that sounds literally impossible, you have some time, pictures and tons of tutorials to practice from before you desperately need to throw your hair up in a messy bun on that one hot day! 

Tip: If your hair isn`t suited for high buns, try a low style bun. These are great for letting your bangs fall loose in front of your face, and keeping the whole messy but cute look too! Check out the picture below for some easier inspo!

Stick to waves and loose curls

Whether you take this advice now or not, humidity will teach you the hard way. Anyone with hair on their head will tell you that straight hair and summer are just not a thing. It won’t last, you will get hot, and it will probably curl up and wave on its own. Now of course there`s always an exception if you own some quality anti-humidity products or straightening irons, and spend extended styling time to make sure it stays sleek. However in both cases, a backup plan never hurt! No matter what your hair type is, here are some products and styles that’ll help you get those enviable beach waves!

Tip: Use sea salt sprays and waving irons to get the beach waves instead of spiraled curls. If you only have curling irons, use the thicker ones, lower the heat, spend less time on each strand and run your fingers through your hair when you’re done!

Now you know, just because humidity will be unavoidable this summer, doesn’t mean bad hair can’t be!

Raghdah is the Editor of the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter. Raghdah is a graduate of the University of Ottawa where she studied Political Science and now continues her work in the Government of Canada. Outside of her career, she spends most of her time writing, travelling, practising yoga, and running. If being a foodie, coffee-addict, aspiring cat lady, and binge-watching Scandal count as hobbies, then she's living the life. You will most likely find her planning her next trip or trying to adopt another cat at your local pet shelter.