How Not to Fear the Unknown – Advice to an Impending Undergrad Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Unmistakably, if you’re expected to graduate this coming spring, there are probably a whirlwind of apprehensive thoughts flooding your mind. As you are swiftly approaching the “real world” as a fresh graduate, you may be feeling overwhelmed by your uncertain vocation. Do not fret, you’re not the only student experiencing this quarter-life crisis. My purpose for writing this piece is personal. I have also been thoroughly discussing with my fellow peers their many “what if” dilemmas. What if I am not admitted to graduate school? What if I am not accepted to medical school? What if I don’t land a job for September? Even though these tips might not provide clarity to your blurred paths, I hope that they can help you keep a healthy and realistic mentality when facing your ambiguous quest.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself

When I think of the word pressure, the word stress comes to mind almost simultaneously. A healthy level of stress/pressure can be highly motivating in the pursuit of your goals, however, excessive stress can insidiously impair your physical and emotional well-being. If you are in the midst of discovering your path in life or redefining your goals, you need to enter this arduous journey with a clear mind. Just as driving through a deserted foggy highway can hinder visibility, a “foggy” mind can obstruct the vision of your goals and avert your focus. That being said, try to decompress the intolerable pressure and use this HEALTHY amount of stress as a friendly push. Also, to ease the inherent pressure of growing up, try not to compare yourself to others. Each student has their own academic background and corresponding passions. Everyone is uniquely intelligent in their own way with individual talents and weaknesses. Keep reminding yourself that you are unique and that you can bring a zest to the table that someone else may not be able to offer.

Limit expectations

Having preconceived expectations can also be damaging to your prospective opportunities. Rigid expectations can naturally create a mindset that deters you from trying something different and, consequently, growing as an individual. For example, say in your final year of undergrad, you applied to multiple law schools and weren’t admitted to any of them. Your expectation was to be admitted immediately and to begin your legal studies in the autumn semester after attaining your bachelor’s degree. The evident flaw in this mindset is the expectation of admission and not preparing a “what if” plan. Law school, medical school and many other professional schools are unrealistically competitive, with most extremely qualified applicants being unsuccessful in their admission. The fact that you were not admitted after your first try of applying does not predict future rejection letters. Instead of being discouraged or, rather, before applying, have other options that you can pursue in the event that your “expected” plan does not pan out. I am a strong believer in the philosophy that everything happens for a reason. Transform this rejection into a refreshing opportunity to try something new by applying for that unparalleled internship, or volunteering in your community. The beauty of life is that the future is largely unknown. Life would be predictable, boring and quite meaningless if we already knew the detailed plan of our future lives. This unexpected detour in your socially scripted timeline can set you back on the same path to achieve your dreams.

You will only know if you try

Discussions with my peers have also enabled me to realize yet another challenge that the young graduate faces: is this master’s degree/job/internship/opportunity even something that I want to pursue? This questioning perpetuates and increases the mental burden of “growing up.” The only way to possibly evade this worry is to try. This may sound cliché, but you will never know unless you try! If your worrying is putting a damper on your productivity, recognize this and escape this dangerous behaviour. You are allowed to be confused and unsure of which career to pursue for the rest of your life. Be proactive and search for as many opportunities as you can. It is certainly acceptable to even take a year off following your graduation to explore the endless options that are available to a bright and determined individual like yourself. Additionally, network with many people in a vast variety of fields to gauge your specific interests. Ask to shadow a professional. Be mindful that it is simply impossible to be sure that a certain career will be personally fulfilling without at least immersing yourself into that particular field. Open-mindedness is key, though specificity is equally important. Concentrate on areas of work or education that will allow your strengths to flourish. It is also imperative to remember that you are not destined to one career for the rest of your life!

Had I decided to write this article a few years earlier, this article would have been loaded with hypocrisy and dishonesty. I am definitely not an expert life coach nor devoid of anxiety (actually quite the contrary). I have matured to acknowledge that it is essential to prosper through this pivotal stage of our young adult lives and to remember that, ultimately, the sky is the limit. Maintain positive coping strategies in the face of adversity and always prioritize your mental health! Be ambitious and resilient when you find yourself off course. No matter which perplexing, blurred or convoluted route you are intended to take, with a clear mind and unwavering tenacity, you will make it to your final destination.

Best of luck with your brilliant and diverse futures!