This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Your skin is dry, your mouth is a desert–but sometimes it’s a decent trade off because nothing can be more tortuous than chugging several glasses of H2O a day when every sip is utterly tasteless. To add to the general inconvenience of the task, the last thing you want to be doing is spending your day hitting up the restroom because you have to pee a hundred times. I’m obviously just as outraged as you are, but dehydration can have a lot of weird effects on your body. Luckily, there are tons of ways to reduce the general annoyance of the task, like… eating more the following foods! Now, when I read a few trendy articles on the matter, I was a tad skeptical at first but I promise you that since I’ve ditched my Swell bottle and started swapping out my usual sammies for more fruits and veg I can say that my skin was as radiant and hydrated as ever! SO! Make the pursuit for hydration much more tastier with these little snacks!

Cucumber

The cucumber (or less formally, the cuke) is low in calories but high in many vitamins and minerals. With a very high water content of up to 96%, packing these bad boys in your lunch box will defo keep you as cool as a cucumber.

Watermelon

Watermelon is a low-calorie fruit that’s high in quite a few nutrients — especially carotenoids, vitamin C and cucurbitacin E (which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects). With a water content of 92%, you can get to chomping on some delicious watermelon instead of torturing yourself with “water”.

Celery

Even though celery is probably the saddest desk snack ever… it still is made up of 96% water (and 4% rage). This is an acceptable option if the world is ending. Why can’t celery taste like cake?

Carrots

Carrots are pretty much crunchy water and their contents can vary from around 86-95% water. Not only will this particular vegetable help you see in the dark, it is also a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants. Yay, carrots.

Radishes

Ah, radishes. They sit, alone and weird in the grocery store. However, they do come packed with nutrients which may also help or prevent some health conditions. Their water content of 95% is also not too shabby. Also, fun fact! Out all night screaming at the bar on one of HC wild pub nights? The natural spice in radishes eliminates extra mucus in the throat (ew!) helping to banish your sore throat :-).

Kiwi

Three words : brown, fuzzy, and v strange looking. These little weirdos are full of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, folate, and potassium. They also have 84% water, a lot of antioxidants and are a good source of fiber.

Iceberg Lettuce

Yes, it tastes sad but is also 96% water. So ultimately, this has no flavour, only water.

Tomatoes

I love you from my head tomatoes. No, seriously tomatoes are a blessing with up to 95% water. And yes, you can still get most of the water from tomatoes in their pizza sauce version.   

Sources : 1, 2

23 / coffee aficionado / local plant and fashion enthusiast / food before dudes / currently completing a bachelor's degree in Lettres françaises et éducation ❤️
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.