This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Jobs can be hard to come by. Being a student, you might feel that you’re condemned to work in retail or fast food until you graduate; however, this is not the case. Students have many other opportunities that we’re often not told about. Instead, we’re left to find them on our own. Read on to learn about some resources to help you find job opporunities that I wish I would’ve known about when I first started university.

1. Work Study Program
The work study program offers jobs on campus to those who demonstrate financial need. You can work part time during the academic year, and earn approximately $4,000, or work full time in the summer months to earn roughly $7,000. Visit their website to learn more about appication periods, the application process, and eligibility. 

2. FSWEP
FSWEP (Federal Student Work Experience Program) helps provide full-time students with the opportunity to explore their interests and develop their skills. You can find employment year round!

3. Job Search Websites
Indeed.ca
Workoplis.com
Monster.ca
Kijiji.ca  

4. Teaching Assistant Opportuniities
Check your Faculty’s website or ask your prof about any TA opportunities.

5. Research Assistant
Talk to your professor about research opportunities and they might be able to provide you with a few options. If you’re looking for research opporunities in a science field, you can also visit SciLink, which has a list of Principal Investigators who are currently seeking candidates to work in their lab. 

6. Volunteer
You may be surprised to know that if you volunteer on campus, you can build a co-curricular record. Not only that, but you could also be eligible to apply for a paid position in the same job the following year. Organizations that have those opportunities include: Foot Patrol, Health Promotion, and Protection Services.

Visit the university’s website to find more information about jobs on campus.

Now, go find that killer job! If you have any other ideas about places to get a job, let us know on Twitter or Facebook.

Sources: Cover Photo