This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The leaves are finally changing, temperatures are dropping and pumpkin spice is everywhere – it’s October. Even though it’s crazy to think that we’re already 10 months in (where did this year go?!), we’re also looking ahead to some of the best seasonal activities in Ottawa. If you’re not sure what to do over the weekend, or how you’ll spend your reading week (obviously not studying), check out a few of these fantastic events and activities around Ottawa this month! 

Visit Pumpkinferno (September 29th – October 29th) 

Throw on a cute jacket, grab a warm drink and take a stroll through thousands of pumpkins! Pumpkinferno is an outdoor exhibit at the Upper Canada Village that brings together over 7, 000 hand-carved pumpkins celebrating Canada 150 with unique displays. Before exploring the kilometer-long path of pumpkin art, check out the Canadian-inspired displays to look out for! 

Grab some fresh food at the Outdoor Market (May – November) 

The Outdoor Market promotes local farmers and has some of the most delicious food in the city! Hit up the market on a Saturday morning to grab some fresh produce for dinner or Sunday breakfast! 

Take a walk along the Rideau Canal 

If you’ve been avoiding going outside because you don’t want to sweat through your last clean shirt, now is your time! The weather is finally comfortable and it’s the perfect time to take a nice walk along the canal. Framed by trees and parks, the changing colours along the water are a picturesque scene -and a great place for an impromptu photo shoot. Whether it’s a quick walk between study sessions or a long stroll to the Glebe, it’s a must-do for anyone living in Ottawa! 

Get spooky on a Haunted Walk 

Learn about Ottawa’s vast history while being scared out of your mind! Including a walk-through of Ottawa’s haunted jail, the Haunted Walk is an October must as we get closer to Halloween! 

Go on a hike through Gatineau Park 

Fall Rhapsody celebrates nature during fall, as colours are changing and leaves are falling. In Gatineau park, it’s a great hike or bike trail that really captures the beauty of this season! Try to get out during one of their special events too! 

Visit Saunders Farm

Pick up a pumpkin, try to get through a corn maze, make it through the haunted house without screaming and enjoy all the fun of Halloween at Saunders farm! 

Crawl-O-Ween (September 28th) 

Dress up and head down to the Byward Market for a Halloween-themed pub crawl! On the last Saturday of October, it’s a fun way to end Reading Week. Check out their Facebook event for more info! 

Catch a Game

If you missed the Panda Game, the Gee-Gees still have a few games in their season! Cheer our football team on and root for our Gee-Gees as they make a push for the playoffs! 

Cover Photo

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.