nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Green Friends & Where To Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

No matter what age you are, everyone has at some point wanted a green friend to decorate their room. Some of us preferred the beautiful flowering plants to sit on our desks, while others preferred something along the lines of the alluring succulents to decorate their rooms with. Nevertheless, whichever you preferred, plants are on everyone’s mind at one point or another. For some people, having a plant will be the first taste of taking care of something other themselves. For others, their plants might be the perfect touch to the perfect Pinterest photo and for most it’s a taste of making their rooms a little homier.

Depending on the type of person you are, you might be more inclined to buy a plant that suits your needs. If you’re a person that remembers to watch your favourite show every week on the same day, then getting a flowering plant might be something worth considering. If you’re the complete opposite and are likely to forget your favourite show is still on TV, then getting a cactus might be a better option.

But how do you know which kind of plant to get? What’s the right plant for you? What’s the difference between the types of plants?

The Flowering Plant

AKA the beautiful, colourful flowers that you see in bouquets, resting on the kitchen table at your grandmother’s house. These plants need to be watered every week to continue to bloom and grow. They love the sunlight and fresh air during the spring and the summer. Flowering plants include orchids, daisies, roses, sunflowers and so many more. One of the best first flowering plants is the orchid. The orchid needs to be watered once a week, and the simplest way to do so is by putting an ice cube in the soil and letting it melt to water the plant. Orchids thrive in sunlight and grow to be large if properly taken care of. If you’re someone who remembers that every Thursday night your favourite show airs, then having a flowering plant will be no challenge to keep alive.

The Succulent

Everyone’s favourite type of plant. Why? Because these are the plants you don’t have to worry about watering every week. Succulents include cacti, and Aloe Vera plants. Along with many other types of cacti, these plants thrive best when they’re watered occasionally and are exposed to sun. Succulents are easy to take care of and need less attention than their counterparts, the flowering plants. Having cacti can be adorable and make some of the best Instagram shots, because they’re fun and very mesmerizing to look at. Along with being pretty to look at, succulents like Aloe Vera plants also serve another purpose of providing an organic remedy to small burns. If you ever burn yourself straightening or curling your hair like I have many times, a small amount of aloe cream relieve any pain. So if you’re someone who forgets that their favourite show airs every Thursday night or lead a busy and unpredictable life, than having a succulent is a good option to consider when you go plant shopping.

But wait, where do you go to get your plants?

Luckily for us, many stores sell flowers for us to take home. Grocery stores like Loblaws, Sobeys, and Costco sell bouquets of flowers, but also small potted plants that will sit perfectly on the windowsill next to a copy of your favourite book. Most of the stores retail plants in a price range of ten dollars up to thirty dollars the bigger you go. Along with grocery stores selling plants, you can also find potted plants at every florist shop in town. Any florist shop big or small will have plants of all shapes and sizes for you to choose from. At local florist shops, plants retail from ten to thirty dollars. There is no shortage of places to go to buy the perfect plant.

Wherever you go there will always be someone selling plants, and if you look around you might just find the perfect flowery friend to take home with you. 

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.