harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Exam Survival: A Fourth Year’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There’s no question that entering university is a hard adjustment. You’re suddenly moving at a faster pace, you don’t have to go to class, and you had no clue that exams could be worth 50%. I don’t know about any of you, but first year was a huge shock for me! All the studying methods and skills that I had built up through elementary school and high school went out the window. I realized very quickly that I needed to learn a lot of material, in a short amount of time, and fast.

I still remember my first set of final exams. I thought that I could study the week before for the three I had coming up the following week…BIG mistake. I was able to get the marks that I needed; however, the stress I felt was indescribable. This is not to scare any of you first year students, this is meant as a suggestion for you all to be aware of your time.

Everyone has their own methods of studying, and I’m not going to tell you to change them; however, successful studying is all about keeping yourself organized and prepared. Over the past four years, there are a few tricks that I have learned that keep me organized and on top of my work.

Take Breaks

Whether you think you can power through 10 hours of studying straight and learn everything…I’m going to tell you right now that you’re wrong. Make sure you make the time to relax, and do other things between subjects.

Have an Exam Study Calendar

This may sound tedious and unnecessary, but I keep a calendar of all my midterm and exam dates, and then pick a date a week or two before, and create an reminder to start studying in order to be prepared on time without having to sacrifice sleep, food, and of course… sanity.

Sleep

Speaking of sleep, it’s important to be well rested. In second year I realized that all-nighters were not working for me. I never retained any information, and I always ended up spending more time on Facebook or Netflix than actually studying. Let yourself sleep because everyone needs time to recharge.

First years, don’t be scared. The past four years have definitely been a learning curve, but you learn what’s good for you and your body. These are my three tips that help keep me motivated and organized. Hopefully they can help you too!

My name is Jaclyn Friedlich. I am 19 years old, and currently finishing up my first year in communications at uOttawa! I have been living in Ottawa for the last 15 years and I am so happy to have stayed here for university as well!
Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.