books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The DOs and DON’Ts of Dressing for Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It is that time of year again and with it comes a new set of dressing dos and don’ts. Most students spend the next couple weeks in sweats and pajamas, but as fabulous collegiettes, we follow the motto “Dress Well, Test Well.” So here are a few dos and don’ts to help you stay fab and confident throughout the exam season.

1. Don’t wear heels to exams.

You do not want to be that person that everyone stares at in anger when your footsteps echo over the already noisy floor planks. Writing an exam in the Hockey arena is already painful, but the sound of high heels clicking along from the back corner to the exit for 5 straight minutes will throw any collegiette off of their exam mojo.

2. Do put your hair up.

Messy buns and hair clips are a collegiette’s best friend throughout this awful time. Get those long locks out of your way. It is easier to concentrate and when you lean back to stretch you won’t end up leaving your hair all over the exam of the stressing student behind you.

3. Do keep it cute, but comfortable

Confidence really is key during exam season. Although wearing sweats and may be appealing, dressing well really can help you feel confident and fabulous when walking into an exam. It isn’t necessary to go all out, but a little loving in the makeup and wardrobe department doesn’t hurt. Throw on some mascara, blush and a touch of lipstick paired with some patterned pants, flats and a black tee and you are set!

4. Don’t wear noisy jewelry or bracelets

Avoid the heavy arm candy for exams. Not only do bulky bracelets make writing long essays uncomfortable but it can also make a lot of noise throwing you and the other students off their game. Don’t be afraid to accessorize with a necklace and some earrings though! Watches are also really helpful in the situations where there is no clock in sight.

5. Do wear your lucky charms

We all have that one piece of jewelry or clothing that will give us the power to ace our exams. Bring them! Every little bit of extra luck; confidence; magic or whatever they do help. It’s comforting to have something there to grab   when you don’t know any answers to the 100 multiple-choice questions.

6. Do layer

When you are already stressing the last thing you want to worry about is being too cold or too hot. Bring a cardigan or a scarf in the cases where you get the chills and always wear a tank top under your hoodies in the cases you start sweating.

Whatever it is that you decide to wear, just don’t panic! You’ll get through these next two weeks and you will do it looking fabulous.

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7