Cheap Date Ideas for Cheap Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There comes a time in every couple’s life where dinner and a movie just doesn’t cut it anymore. However, the most exciting things to do on a date often comes with the dilemma of breaking the bank… or does it? Here are some cute date ideas that are $20 and under for the romantics on a budget.

1. Thursday museum date
If you’re a student in Ottawa, this date is free after 5 p.m. Just grab your significant other and your student card and head to one of the many museums around Ottawa. If you can’t wait till Thursday, you can still enjoy a museum date  at a discounted rate for students.

2. Skate on the canal
Grab your skates and enjoy and romantic skate in one of Ottawa’s biggest tourist attraction. Skating is free and you can grab hot chocolate or beaver tails while you skate. The best part of this date is everything will be under $20 (unless you eat 10 beaver tails… then that’s up to you and your wallet).

3. Board games date
This date idea can be very versatile and budget friendly. You can choose to stay home with a significant other and enjoy playing one of your favorite games. You can also swap the comfort of your home for one of the many board game lounges around Ottawa like the Loft where it costs $5/ per person to play all the board games your heart desires.

4. Open Mic Nights
What many people don’t realize is that Ottawa isn’t just for politicians, it’s actually filled with a lot of amazing and creative talent as well. There are a multitude of open mic nights in town showcasing the creativity Ottawa has to offer.  A personal favourite is Express Yourself, which is held on Wednesdays at PPL and the best part is that you can experience the work of talented musicians, comedians, and performers for free.

5. Scavenger Hunt
If you’re up for a little adventure on a budget, then you should definitely go on a scavenger hunt. It’s a bit unusual for a date night, but it’s also really a fun way to explore your city. 

6. Comedy Night
While tickets to a Kevin Hart comedy show might be a little out of there for couples on a budget, you don’t have to give up your dreams of laughing until you cry with your partner. Local comedy clubs such as Yuk Yuk in Ottawa allow you to have a comedy filled date night for $15.

7. Nature date
Nature themed dates are a fun idea because in some cases they are completely free!  Free date ideas include a stroll and a picnic in one of Ottawa’s scenic parks such Hog’s Back Park and Major Hills Park. In addition, for under $20 you can enjoy a fun paddle boat ride, while you take in the beautiful scenery at Dow’s lake (once the snow melts). 

Sources: Cover Photo

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Deborah. I'm currently a third year Communications and Political science student at the University of Ottawa. I'd describe my hobbies as those of a middle aged housewife, I love to cook, read, crochet, marathon Netflix and pin all the diy crafts i'll most likely never make.