Blank Products You Need to Buy from This Zero Waste Store to Help Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Nu Grocery Store is Ottawa’s first zero-waste grocery store and checking it out is the perfect way to start doing your part in slowing down global warming. Even if you’re skeptical that global warming is a thing, at the very least you’ll be able to sleep comfortably knowing that you’re not destroying the ocean and everything in it every time you buy food enveloped in layers upon layers of packaging.

1. French Cotton Net Bag

If you’re like me and love to walk through markets to get your fruits and veggies, then this is the perfect bag for you. Reminiscent of what a small-town French person would carry with them to their local market to grab that morning’s selection of succulent peaches, this bag is eco-friendly, stylish, versatile, and just useful. These bags are referred to as “filet” bags, taking their name and style from the fisherman net bags that are used in Europe for groceries. Best of all, they’re only $11 on Nu’s website here.

2. Produce Bags

To keep your veggies nicely together in your new cotton net bag or simply to avoid using those wasteful plastic ones from the produce aisle, these bags are perfect. They stretch and expand easily so if you really, really want to get that extra mango you can. They can easily be thrown in your washing machine and dryer to keep them clean and new. Besides, we’ve all been that person who awkwardly can’t get the plastic bag to rip off the roll and end up dropping five avocados on the ground. Save yourself the embarrassment (and the world) and buy these bags here.

3. Utensils

Nu sells this bamboo set that will have you looking and feeling great during lunch hour at your summer co-op job. Including two straws, a fork, knife, spoon, water bottle, and even a sandwich bag. A little bonus is that it comes with a bamboo toothbrush and holder so if you have hummus or caesar salad for lunch you don’t have to chew a whole 40-piece pack of gum before conversing with a coworker. Another great use for this set is while travelling. Wrap everything up together and be prepared for any fast food stop on the way to sunny Florida, for example. Buy them here.

4. Lunch “Box”

To go with your cute af bamboo utensils, use this style of airtight container to pack up anything from soups to poké. Speaking of poké, the new spot Paradise Poké on Bank St. has recently announced that if you bring your own container they’ll give you a free topping! If that’s not a reason to go eco-friendly I don’t know what is. Paradise is only a click away.

5. Beeswax Wrap

I had no idea this product even existed until about two weeks ago when I was looking into zero waste products. It’s essentially an organic cotton cloth infused with beeswax, tree resin and jojoba oil which allow you to mold it around things and keep them fresh (pretty much nature’s plastic wrap). It’s washable, reusable, antibacterial, breathable and compostable. Even better is that it does a way better job than traditional plastic wrap due to its breathable quality. I’ve even heard of someone wrapping a cut avocado in this, leaving it in on the counter for a few days, and coming back to it the same beautiful green colour (it didn’t brown at all!). Oh yeah, and one sheet can last you a year or longer if you take care of it. Even if you don’t want to try the other products, this one just makes good, clean, breathable sense. Check them out here

Images: thumbnail1, 2, 3, 4, 5