This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Ashley Bélanger
Program: Major in French as a Second Language with a minor in Psychology
Hometown: Kanata, ON
Favourite class taken: I think my favourite might have to be Human Sexual Behavior.
Relationship status: Happily dating some frat guy (of Omega Theta Alpha)

Her Campus uOttawa: What is something that you miss about uOttawa?
Ashley Bélanger:
I think what I miss most of all about uOttawa is the family that I made while I was there. Joining a Greek organization enables you to constantly meet new people and make new connections, which was always so exciting. I miss being able to see my sorority sisters almost daily. Zeta Theta Xi has given me a support system that I could’ve only ever dreamed of and I’m so grateful for that. Luckily for me, it’s something I’ll always have with me, even after graduating.

HCuO: What have you been up to since graduation?
AB:
Since graduating last June, I have moved to North Bay and continued my studies at Nipissing University. I am currently in my first year of a two-year consecutive education program. Since moving here almost half a year ago now, I have already learned so much about myself and I have met so many incredible people. I am so fortunate to be where I am right now and happy to be alongside some incredible future teachers as well!

HCuO: If you could go on a date with any celebrity alive or dead, who would it be and why?
AB: She is more of a YouTube star but I would love to hang out with Zoe Sugg (Zoella). I’ve seen a few of her videos and she just seems like so much fun to be around. She’s also fairly open about her anxiety and her experiences with it and I would love to talk to her about that. She just seems so down-to-earth and easy to get along with; I would love to learn more about her. I would not mind meeting her pug, Nala, either!

HCuO: If you could be a Disney character, who would it, be and why?
AB: I honestly feel like I somehow relate to Tigger from Winnie the Pooh the most. He’s just so upbeat, optimistic and caring and I like to think those are characteristics that describe me. Plus, how fun would it be to bounce around all day long?

HCuO: What are some of your favourite hobbies?
AB: I do enjoy pampering myself and just practicing self-care, which I’ve been doing a lot more of this year; from taking relaxing candlelit baths to going to the gym and running off all my stress. Otherwise I’m pretty low key and love staying in to watch Netflix or going to the movies. I love dancing especially if it is country music because it is just so fun and freeing to me.

HCuO: If you were strayed on an island, what three objects would you bring?
AB: Three is so few, I do not know if I would survive! I would definitely have to bring a journal of some sort to keep my thoughts in check and not go totally crazy on this island. I guess with that I would also need a pen! The final thing I would bring would need to be some sort of food. Let’s say a gigantic pizza so it lasts me as long as possible and it still counts as one thing.

HCuO: Tell us about your biggest achievement.
AB: I would have to say my biggest achievement is when I decided to get help and go to counselling. I was having a lot of anxiety and one day something in my head kind of just snapped, helping me to realize that I needed to reach out and talk to someone. It wasn’t easy but I’ve gone back since when my anxiety feels unmanageable. I feel like I downplay it in my head sometimes but I am proud of myself for doing what I needed.

HCuO: If you could go back in time, what would you do differently during your undergrad?
AB:
Looking back, I honestly cannot think of anything that I would have done differently. I pledged Zeta Theta Xi in the first semester of my first year and it’s what made the 4 years of my undergrad so incredible. I always did my best to study but I don’t think I ever went study crazy where I really deprived myself of socializing. I feel like I had a good balance between the two. I’m sure it’s what kept me sane.

HCuO: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
AB:
In 5 years, I will be almost 28. I would like to say I see myself with a stable teaching job and moved out of my parent’s place. As for further personal details, let’s leave those up to the future and not jinx anything! And who knows where I’ll be city wise, only time will tell so I’m trying to keep an open mind but I can’t wait to see where I end up. 

Source: The pictures were provided by Ashley Bélanger. 

SaveSave

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.