This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Hummus is a pivotal part of any veggie tray. Not only is it perfect to dip vegetables into, but it also elevates any dish. Making a wrap and it happens to be a little dry? Add hummus! The spread is both filling and delicious! Now, I know what you’re probably thinking: Eve, this is so unlike you, hummus is SO expensive at the grocery store! How could you justify buying that much hummus? To just be throwing around something that retails at almost $5 for a small tub you must be lying about being a thrifty queen! The answer is really quite simple: I don’t buy it. I make it. 

Hummus
Christin Urso / Spoon

Hummus can seem like a really difficult thing to make, especially if you don’t know what ingredients go into it. Lucky for my lovely readers, I have been making hummus with my Tita (Arabic for grandmother) since I could stand. 

The first step comes with the chickpeas. In my adult and student life, I’ve started using canned chickpeas. However, my Tita lives for dried chickpeas that take a full 12 hours to hydrate. While I agree they certainly taste better, they also take way too long to prepare, and in a world where I’m taking five classes, have to read at least four books a week, and write assignments on top of all of that, I just don’t have the time to wait just to prepare the chickpeas. 

The next thing that you’ll have to buy is something called tahini. The primary cost is a little bit expensive (close to $10 for a tub), but one tub of tahini will go such a long way! The rest of the ingredients you need are pantry staples! Hummus is such a simple, healthy addition to any meal. 

Any recipe for hummus can easily be found online, but this one is tried and effective! The entire ingredients list includes one can of chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, salt, water, and garlic. The recipe itself is genuinely as easy as putting everything into a blender and letting it all mix together. 

The actual measurements that I use are incredibly inconsistent because I measure with my heart, not a spoon. But I will try my best to give accurate-ish measurements: 

• One can of chickpeas
  • One very heaping spoon of tahini
  • Two squirts of lemon juice (probably close to two tablespoons)
  • A generous dash of salt
  • Two to seven cloves of garlic (depending on how garlicky you like your hummus)
  • Water for desired consistency

The water in the recipe simply makes the hummus thinner. It all depends on preference. I personally like to add around ¼ cup of water to my hummus recipe because I mostly use hummus as a condiment and not so much as a dip. 

The best part of this recipe is you just need to add everything to your blender and hit the “on” button. After a total of five minutes, you have more than enough hummus to last you the week. As always, I strongly suggest taking creative liberties and adding, or taking away, anything that you want! I hope you enjoy making your own hummus and adding it as a staple to your cooking repertoire!

Eve Chamely

U Ottawa '23

I'm from a small town in southern Ontario, I love Romantic poetry and sustainability, a strange combination but trust me... it works. :)