This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As someone who has to travel an hour and a half each way to school, I am no stranger to the dreaded commute. At times the thought of taking the bus drives me crazy, but unfortunately I have no other option. After nearly three years of this, I have decided to finally accept the fact that I have to commute everyday and make the best of it. Here are some tips and tricks that I have found over my travels to help improve your daily commute. 

1. Podcasts + Audiobooks are Your Best Friend

Listening to music can sometimes get repetitive and you need something new. I have fallen in love with listening to podcasts! Having something different and interesting to listen to everyday, makes a huge difference in your overall mood and makes the time go by a lot faster. I have been listening to the podcast “How Stuff Works”, and it’s fantastic! Every episode the two hosts teach you about a different topic like hang gliding, impeachment, willpower or the seven wonders of the ancient world and offer funny commentary. It’s great to listen to because they always pick out the most interesting and important aspects of a subject while still making the podcast have a comedic focus. If podcasts aren’t your thing try listening to audiobooks. Sites like Audible  have hundreds of titles available for affordable prices. It also has books for every genre, so you’ll definitely be able to find a book you like!

2. Use the Time for Yourself

Instead of feeling like the time spent commuting is being wasted, use the time to do something for yourself. Read that book that you’ve always wanted to, learn how to meditate, learn a new language, make a playlist of your favorite music or spend the time mentally preparing for your day ahead. If you do something that you love and is good for yourself, you won’t feel as if you’re loosing a chunk of your day. Additionally starting your day off with something positive will put you in a good mood and make the commute fly by!

3. Bring Your Favourite Beverage

Having your favourite beverage during your commute can make a world of difference. Bring your tea, coffee, hot chocolate or any other drink in a travel mug for easy convenience. Not only will that extra caffeine help wake you up, but having your favourite drink can actually make you feel calmer and more relaxed. Taking your drink with you can also save time in the morning and help you to save money instead of buying a drink before work or class. 

4. Prep the Night Before

Instead of starting your morning in a panic sprinting around looking for your favourite shirt or your charger, put aside 15 minutes the night before to plan for the morning. Pick out your outfit, make your lunch, pack your bag and do any other tasks that usually take up a lot of time in the morning. If you leave the house feeling calm, organized and knowing that you have everything you need your commute and your day will go a lot smoother. 

5. Dress for the Weather

There is nothing worse than sitting on a bus soaking wet or freezing cold and then you’re stuck like that for the rest of the day. Always check the weather before hand, so you’re not caught off guard by awful Canadian conditions. Living in Canada it’s always important to bundle up in layers; sweaters, a scarf, two pairs of mitts, etc. If your bus is late or doesn’t show up (which often happens, thanks OC Transpo) you’re sheltered from the cold, and then you can take off any layers if they’re blasting the heating on the bus. Dressing for the weather will make you more comfortable and make your overall day much more pleasant. 

6. Use Transit Apps

If you take the bus or the train, there are apps that you can use to plan your route, check schedule times and get live updates about detours and canceled trips. The best app for Ottawa buses is the OC Transpo app, but you can also use other apps like Bus Buddy Ottawa or Transit: Bus and Train Times for all of your travel needs. At all OC Transpo bus stops there is also a number on the sign where you can text or call your bus and they will send you the exact time it will come to your stop using GPS. Using transit apps can keep you updated about what is going on and if your bus will be late, so that you’re not stuck waiting for excessive amounts of time for a bus that will never come! 

7. Have A Back up Plan

Sometimes you just can’t help it. Your bus or train was ridiculously late, traffic was way worse than usual or maybe roads were closed on your usual route. When you have to commute there is a good chance that some days. no matter how hard you try, you might be late. In cases like this make sure to have a backup plan or backup person to accommodate the circumstances. A backup person could be someone you work with that you can e-mail to notify your boss or company that you will be late and to handle clients or situations that come up while you’re not there. They could also be a friend in your class who can take notes for you and make sure they give you any important info that the professor mentions. 

**Bonus tip: let your friends know if you have a long commute and won’t have wifi. That way if a class is canceled and you can’t check your e-mail, your friends will know to notify you and you hopefully won’t have to make an unnecessary trip.**

I know at times your commute will seem awful. Try to keep a positive attitude, use your time for yourself and realize that the place you’re going is worth the journey!

Have any tips for commuters? Tweet us at @HCuOttawa!

Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.