samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Ways to get Your Hygge on This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you haven’t heard already, the Danish Hygge (pronounced hoo-ga) lifestyle is sweeping the nation. The trend became popular worldwide with the release and success of the book, The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking.  The book goes into detail to explain that Denmark is one of the happiest countries in the world and they accredit Hygge for this. According to Wikipedia, “Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment.” 

With the air getting colder and the leaves starting to change, fall is the perfect time to start incorporating some hygge into your life. Here’s 5 ways you can get your hygge on this fall:

1. Candles + Lights

Candles and lights are the perfect way to add some warmth into your home when the weather starts to get chilly–and it can be fairly inexpensive! Homesense is a great place to get fairy lights and yummy candles for under $10!

2. Anything fuzzy

Comfy blankets, pillows and fuzzy clothes are all great ways to get your hygge on during the fall. Throw blankets and pillows are an easy way to transition your room from summer to fall! 

3. Warm drinks

Hot chocolate, tea, coffee–you name it! Grab your favourite mug and get cozy with it. Pumpkin spice is back in season, so that’s another option as well! 

4. Food that feeds your soul

Take the time this fall to make some home-cooked meals that take time and love to prepare! Comfort foods that take time to prepare are a great way to embrace hygge. 

5. Spend quality time with people you love

Take some time away from the electronics this fall and do something fun with good company! A great way to do this is to snuggle up with your new fuzzy throw blankets, hot cocoa and put on one of your favourite flicks! 

These are just a few examples of how you can embrace hygge this fall. If you want to get a few more ideas, you can click here.

Source: 1 

Nicola George

U Ottawa '21

2nd year English student at uOttawa. Dreams of becoming either the next Carrie Bradshaw or Elle Woods (or both).
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.