4 More Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s a time of cheer, presents, really good food and holiday spirit. I (and probably many of you) are so lucky to be able to get most of what we want, to spend time with friends and family exchanging gifts. Unfortunately, a lot of other people are not as fortunate as a lot of us. They might be able to exchange a gift or two, they may not. They may not even have the ability to make ends meet, making it difficult to find the joy in the holiday season. Even though we, as university students, don’t have a lot of money or a lot of time, we can still help others find joy this holiday season. Here are some ways to give back during the holidays!

Buy A Warm Beverage for Someone Who’s Out in the Cold

This is one of the classic ways to give to others. Buy a hot chocolate or coffee for someone who is sitting out in the cold, or is working an outdoor job. They will appreciate the thought and will like the kindness shown during this busy season! Everyone could use a little warmth during the cold weather!

Clean Out Your Closet

We all have clothes that we don’t wear anymore (or never wore at all). While making room for the new clothes that you might get as presents, consider donating your old clothes to a shelter or clothes drive. Clothes that you don’t want anymore could help a family in need, who can’t afford warmer clothes or new clothes. Coats, socks, boots and jeans are especially needed when the temperatures drop! You will declutter your closet while also making the day of another person who is less fortunate.

Volunteer Your Time

Finals, family time and social obligations probably take up most of your time. However, consider spending an hour or two volunteering somewhere. Whether it be a soup kitchen, a shelter, or even at the SFUO Food Bank, the help will be really appreciated! Your time is beyond valuable, especially in this busy time of year.

Candy Cane Bomb Someone

This might sound weird (especially using bomb) but a friend showed this to me. Buy a candy cane and attach a note saying, “You’ve been candy cane bombed! Pass it on!”, then leave it on someone’s car, in a library desk, or on the street somewhere. This is not only a simple way to spread the holiday cheer, but is also inexpensive and easy.

Happy holidays collegiettes, and remember to spread the cheer!

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!