4 Chic Ways to Spice up an All Black Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s hit the time of year in Ottawa that temperatures are dropping about as fast as my motivation to wake up early and pick out an elaborate outfit.  If you’re like me and spend far too long standing in front of your closet in the morning just to choose the same black tee and jeans, then here are a few tips for adding some flare to your daily monochrome ensemble.

1. Play with texture

Adding texture to an all-black outfit is that little extra something that instantly takes your look to the next level. Since we are getting into the fall and winter months, texture is something that is very easy to incorporate. A plush, fuzzy cardigan has the perfect look for texture, and can add some extra warmth when it gets chilly outside. Velvet is also something that is very trendy this season, and can be incorporated lots of ways, from booties all the way to blouses. Leather leggings are the fall staple that are surprisingly easy to style (and not to mention comfortable).  If you’re not feeling the leggings, you can always opt for a classic leather jacket instead.

2. Accessorize

Accessories are a super easy way to draw attention to any outfit really. My favourite tactic lately has been adding a pair of hoop earrings (definitely popular this season), and then layering as many rings as I own. If you aren’t an earring gal, then you can always opt for layered dainty necklaces which have also grown to be more popular now. Another way to accessorize by adding an oversized blanket scarf, which conveniently makes for a good blanket when you inevitably get too cold in class, or need a nap after a long day.

3. Add a bold lip colour

Adding a fun lipstick to the mix can be an unexpected way to look like you tried when you really rolled out of bed 20 minutes before class starts. Fall is definitely the time to rock darker lipstick, and burgundy or berry tones are good beginner shades if you aren’t used to bolder colours. If you’re feeling more daring, you can try the purple or even blue shades. As for me I will be sticking to my classic red lipstick straight into the holiday season.

4. Layer

This one may be the most evident, but it can also be easily looked over. I love being able to layer once it starts to get a bit chillier, so a black silky camisole is the perfect base to layer. You can even combine it with tip 1 (texture), and add a cozy cardigan or leather jacket (or both) to make the perfect outfit. If you’re going for a more casual look, you can also layer a hoodie under your jacket and throw on a classic pair of booties or sneakers, and you’ll be on your way!