3 Easy-to-Make Healthy Snacks For Your Busy Student Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’ve got a particularly bad sweet tooth, (which I’m not going to apologize for because chocolate is life); however, during the last year I’ve really been making an effort to kick those nasty eating habits to the curb. Eating clean is not easy to do especially when you’re a student because

a) You’re living on a budget and even if it’s bad for you at least it’s cheap, right?

b) A lot of our social lives revolve around social drinking and going out to eat with friends;

c) While it has generally been accepted as being the most effective antidote to exam season anxiety, stress eating tops the list of things that are bad for you.

It’s difficult finding the time in our busy school schedules to set aside some downtime to cook a healthy, balanced meal. Sometimes grabbing McDonalds on your way to class is just easier than waking up early after an all-nighter to make yourself a nutritious breakfast. Also, another thing about breaking bad habits is that they’re so hard to break especially if you don’t know where to start! So, here are some healthy easy-to-make snacks that can fit into your busy student schedule:

1. Avocado Spread on Toast 

I love chocolate, I love Beyonce, I love cheap nights at the theatres (which is every Tuesday at your local Cineplex btw) but I REALLY love avocado. My love affair with this fruit (yup, its a fruit not a vegetable…go figure) is a recent thing, but once you’ve fallen in love with avocado, there is no going back because not only is it super tasty, it’s also good for you! Put it in your salad, make guacamole, or spread it on bread for a quick breakfast. Since there is no such thing as too much avocado, check out Love One Today for more delicious recipes!

2. Fruit Salad with Honey 

Throw your fav fruits in a bowl, drizzle a little honey on top and you’ve got yourself a healthy, tasty fruit salad! Another option instead of fruit salad is to take that fruit and toss it into a bowl with greek yogurt, then throw all of that into a blender and BAM! You’ve got a yourself a healthy, homemade smoothie. Making one at home is a much healthier alternative to the sugar-loaded ones from Booster Juice!

You can find lots of yummy fruit salad recipes online! 

3. Hummus

You can spread it on bread or you can use it as dipping sauce for your favourite vegetables. Hummus really is the all-purpose saving grace of the busy student. Since hummus really isn’t that hard to make, you can try your hand at making it at home, which is a healthier alternative to store-bought hummus! Try this simple hummus recipe that you can take a crack at! 

Tips:
If bad eating habits were easy to break and if the student-life wasn’t so busy, we’d all be health freaks. Snacking on something that isn’t good for you isn’t the end of the world, and I myself have the bad habit of eating spoonfuls of Nutella whenever the stress of finishing an essay gets to be a bit too much. It’s just about taking that first step! If you’re trying to make a turn for a healthier lifestyle, here are two tips that can help you break all of those bad habits:

1. Always make a list when going grocery shopping so that when you get to the store, you don’t forget what it is you wanted all of a sudden, and then end up buying a bunch of unhealthy junk you don’t really need.

2. If you have time during the weekend, cook for the week! You can cook your favourite meal in bulk, store it in the fridge, and then heat it up and eat the leftovers throughout the week. It’ll save you so much time because you won’t have to worry about taking time away from studying to cook a meal for yourself!

Happy healthy eating! What are your heavourte easy-to-make healthy snacks? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter

SaveSave

Student. 22. Canadian/Eritrean. Short?