10 Things I Learned From Working with Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Anyone who has experience working with kids knows that it can be incredibly rewarding, but also very difficult. When you work with kids you not only get the opportunity to learn about them, but you also learn a lot about yourself in the process. Here are 10 things that I’ve learned in my time working with kids:

1. They can be brutally honest but sometimes it’s what you need to hear.

2. Every kid is different – there are no one-size-fits-all expectations because every interaction will be something new.

3. You won’t be able to connect with every single child you work with. Some just don’t want anything to do with you.

4. And you can’t take this personally, or you’re going to have a rough time. All you can do is try your best and to understand what the kid wants and needs from you.

5. But when you finally do make a connection with a kid who has been avoiding you it’s the best feeling.

6. Their silliness is infectious if you let it be. And honestly, why not? It can be extremely liberating to let out your inner child.

7. Watching a kid learn something new and knowing that you were a part of that growth is extremely empowering and will make you feel really proud.

8. Seeing a kid smile is awesome, and even better when you know that you put that smile on their face.

9. You learn to celebrate the little things. Looking at the world through a child’s eyes brings wonder to things we might ordinarily consider mundane or ordinary.

10. In all of it’s glory and struggles, at the end of the day I simply feel grateful that I was able to be a part of their lives.

What life lessons have you learned from kids? Share your experiences with us on Twitter at @HCuOttawa!