10 Health-Conscious Items to Donate to Food Banks This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

During the holiday season, food banks are fuller than ever, meaning the need for supplies is at an even greater demand. When giving to local food banks, we tend to donate foods such as pastas and soups. But many of us don’t realize the range of other items that are accepted as well, including some that are perhaps healthier or target a larger population. If you’ve been donating to food banks and shelters (or were planning to in the near future), keep it up!! But check out this list of healthy, non-perishable alternatives that will benefit those in need during these cold next few months:

1. Protein options: canned nuts, dried or canned beans, peanut butter, or canned fish.

2. Milk: shelf-stable or powdered.

3. Cooking oils: olive or canola is needed for cooking meals.

4. Snacks for kids: children are some of the most frequented users of food banks.

5. Juice boxes: again, good for kids if they are 100% juice (check the packaging).

6. Diapers: a lot of food banks don’t have the necessary supplies to care for the youngest ones.

7. Feminine hygiene products: tampons and pads are needed by every woman, not just those who can afford to buy them.

8. Personal care products: toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc.

9. Fruits and veggies: canned (ideally not in sugary syrups).

10. Lastly, holiday foods: stuffing in a box, canned sweet potato, and cranberry sauce as the food banks work hard to make sure everyone is fed (a festive meal) on the holidays!

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

A Communications student at the University of Ottawa, I'm an avid writer, blogger, and have taken up a new hobby of making travel videos! I've visited 24 countries to date, am a big sister to 5 munchkins, tolerate long Canadian winters by hitting the slopes, and am a terrible cook. You'll find me around campus playing volleyball intramurals, studying in the library, or having coffee with one of my fellow Alpha Phi's!