Top 5 Post-Gameday Eats at the University of Michigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

“So where are we going to eat???” This question is unwaveringly the most anticipated question that my friends and I ask each other after every tailgate. When it comes to tailgates, the only thing more exciting than getting ready for the tailgate itself is the meal that you look forward to devouring after. Whether deciding the place you’re going to eat in the moment, or anxiously contemplating it days before, the post-tailgate eat is absolutely crucial on game days.

Now stepping into my sophomore year at the University of Michigan, after many trials and errors, I believe that I have conquered the task of meticulously discovering the 5 best places to eat post-tailgate.

1. Zingerman’s Delicatessen

When I think about post-tailgate meals, Zingerman’s jumps to the top of my list. The ultimate sandwich place and a main attraction in Ann Arbor, Zingerman’s Delicatessen prevails. Although you can’t go wrong when ordering anything on the menu, #73 The Tenacious Tarb is always my go-to choice. The combination of fresh turkey, avocado spread, cheese, and homemade Russian dressing on grilled farm bread perfectly blend together. The toasty bread is truly irresistible to all who walk in, especially after a game day.

2. Maize and Blue Deli

Maize and Blue is a very close second and never disappoints. Although the line can be long after tailgates, it’s is definitely worth the wait. Whether getting a salad, sandwich or wrap, or daring to splurge with the curly fries, this deli always hits the spot. Sherry’s chicken cutlet is by far the best sandwich offered as the breaded chicken cutlet on the crunchy bread is an unbeatable combination. This staple in Ann Arbor is one of the premier spots to get corned beef, pastrami, turkey, and many other deli meats. An amazing alternative option to Zingerman’s, this deli satisfies every craving after a long day.

3. Pizza House

If you’re looking for an after party, definitely go to Pizza House. Here, you’re guaranteed to find familiar faces, since this social hot spot is always packed with students, ensuring a fun vibe. Pizza House provides the best comfort food as nothing tastes better than hot sizzling cheesy bread and a plate of spicy hot wings smothered in sauce. Another great option is the juicy burger which is actually the perfect order while accompanied by a large plate of fries and a pickle. Honestly, what could be better than that?

4. No Thai

The most convenient and fast eat, No Thai is as affordable as it is delicious. The flavorsome Thai cuisine mixes protein, carbs, and grains in a genius way.  The ability to choose the level of spice and create your own dishes attracts all who are hungry. Offering both healthy and more indulgent options, I recommend the drunken fried rice and sweet and sour chicken if you’re looking to go all out. If you’re seeking a healthier selection, go for the the pad pak and white rice, which are truly just as tasty. The spicy cuisine tingles every taste bud in the most mouthwatering way and is a go-to meal to pick up after a tailgate. In fact, no one leaves No Thai hungry.

5. Sava’s

If you’re looking to save some calories while also hoping to escape the rowdiness of the day, Sava’s is a great choice. This popular, more sophisticated restaurant is known to offer many healthy but flavorful choices. The hippie bowl, classic Greek salad, bang bang shrimp and turkey burger are my favorite nutritious plates. I promise that your plate will be cleared by the end of this yummy meal. 

Images courtesy of Abigail Ingber, Spoon Michigan, Emily Dugoff, Tispy Fork, and Ann Arbor Eats

Currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan.
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!